none
Install .net framework on an alternate drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 partions on my PC. I understand that the .net installation package by default
    installs on C: drive is there any way which i could make it install on D: drive since there is 
    no options for me to choose and I only have around 20MB in my C drive

Regards
    kaiao 
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 2:01 AM

Answers

• kaiao88,

If you are not a developer then start with this it is the .NET 2.0 which may cover all you need because the .NET 3.5 is very big but it maybe relevant to only developers using the new platforms like WPF, WCF, WF, ADO.NET, Winform 3.5 and Asp.net 3.5.  Please copy the url to the browser window because this site is breaking good links. 

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en

Asp.net MVP, MCPD Web C#, MCTS TFS, MCITP BI and DBA
    • Marked as answer by Figo Fei Friday, December 12, 2008 2:39 AM
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 8:06 PM

All replies

• As far as I know, it is not possible to change installation target. It must be installed to the system drive, which is the C: drive in most cases.
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 5:06 AM
  •  The .NET framework only installs in your C drive however if you are a developer you can install VS2005/8 in D drive I have done it but if you use Enterprise library it must install in C drive.  I have also installed Oracle 9i/10g X86 client in Win XP D drive.  So check what you have installed and see what you can move to D drive so you can use C for things that must be installed in C drive.

Sunday, December 7, 2008 10:18 PM
  • Hi Kaiao,

Please go through the link...

http://jon.netdork.net/2008/10/07/visual-studio-iis-aspnet-and-bad-ordering

------------------
    Ali W.Qureshi
    Monday, December 8, 2008 12:05 PM
  •  Thanks Caddre for you advice unfortunately I am just installing .net framework for sack for browsing aspx sites and other MS programs. The guy who fixed up my Laptop for me partioned it that way with XP using 2.XX GB and 3.XX GB in total storage I find it really hard to get around things. I can't format it now since it's has my important stuff on it.
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 9:19 AM
  • kaiao88,

If you are not a developer then start with this it is the .NET 2.0 which may cover all you need because the .NET 3.5 is very big but it maybe relevant to only developers using the new platforms like WPF, WCF, WF, ADO.NET, Winform 3.5 and Asp.net 3.5.  Please copy the url to the browser window because this site is breaking good links. 

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en

• Marked as answer by Figo Fei Friday, December 12, 2008 2:39 AM
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 8:06 PM