none
Convert a Windows Phone 8.1 app to Win 10.

Question

• Visual Studio Community 2015

Attempting to convert a Windows Phone 8.1 app to Win 10.
     I installed and ran "Mobilize Net Silverlight Bridge" against my project. The project then said "Update Required".
    Upon right clicking the project in the Solution Explorer, I selected "Download Update".
    This brought me to the Microoft website (microsoft.com/en-US/). but no obvious update. After searching around, I elected to do a "repair" on Visual Studio 2015 in hopes that would do the trick.
    It did not. So where to now?
    How do I get pass this and on to my project development>
    Thanks,
     - Charlie

Charles Santos

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 4:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi CESantos,

The Mobilize Net Silverlight Bridge is not a Microsoft product. If you want to convert a Windows Phone 8.1 app to Win 10, please refer to following video which introduce how to Migrating 8.1 Apps to Windows 10.

https://channel9.msdn.com/Series/Developers-Guide-to-Windows-10-Preview/03

In addition, following article also introduce how to Migrate apps to the Universal Windows Platform, these apps can be Windows Store 8.1 apps and Windows Phone 8.1 apps. Hope it can help you.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt148501.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, December 3, 2015 5:14 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

Thanks for your response.

Not sure how I got to Mobilize but I'll toss it and follow the links you provided.

I appreciate your help.

- Charlie

Charles Santos

Thursday, December 3, 2015 9:09 PM
  • Hi CESantos,

After you tried with that links, please tell us the result. And if that help you resolve the problem, please mark the helpful reply as answer, which is benefit to other communities who has the same problem.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, December 4, 2015 1:42 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

I've been working through the Migrating link.  I'm not sure what it was written for but it makes reference to change ...Platform... items while it looks like, at least in my code, they're called ...Framework....

I'm still working at trying to get some errors out.

Meanwhile, an email yesterday from Windows Developer Communication's December Newsletter recommended trying the Mobilize Net Silverlight Bridge (as in my original post, above). Though that's not a Microsoft Product, as you state, apparently they're considered a partner.

I'm going back to trying that and working out the kinks with Mobilize.

- Charlie

Charles Santos

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 3:45 PM
  • Hi CESantos,

>> I installed and ran "Mobilize Net Silverlight Bridge" against my project. The project then said "Update Required".

Could you please tell us the detailed steps of how do you run Mobilize Net Silverlight Bridge against your project?

I installed Mobilize Net Silverlight Bridge extension for VS2015 Community first. Then I create a sample Windows Phone Silverligh 8.1 app with VS2015. And right-click the project to choose "Convert to UWP" option as below image.

Then it will show up a wizard window to let you choose the file you want to convert and the path you want to save in. After click star button, it will convert your project automatically. The converted project will be saved in the path you assign. Please open the converted project from that folder with VS2015 manually.

If you also do with this steps, please provide a sample project you want to convert to OneDrive and tell us the error that you get, which can help us reproduce your issue.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, December 14, 2015 2:27 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

Thanks for the response.

The steps you show are the same steps I went through. One of the big differences is that I'm converting an older published project {Visual Studio Express 2012??) and not a current Visual Studio 2015 project.

At this time I can not repeat the problem because I tried to install the latest Mobilize Net but the installation fails. Its failing for others also as noted on the mobilize forum.  We've yet to hear from the developers.

I also see on this forum that others also have this "Update Required" problem.

Charles Santos

Monday, December 14, 2015 5:08 PM
  • Hi CESantos,

Since you need to resolve the installation problem before reproduce the problem first, I suggest you modify this thread as General Discussion by opening the Options list at the top of the post editor window, and changing the type. If you have resolved the installation issue, please feel free to change the issue type back to Question.

After resolve the installation problem, please try following steps to resolve the convert problem.

1. Create a new sample project with current Visual Studio 2015 and convert it with Mobilize Net Silverlight Bridge to check whether it can be convert.
    2. Upgrade your VS Express 2012 project to VS2015 project and build it in VS 2015 to make sure it can run with Visual Studio 2015.
    3. Convert the project in Visual Studio 2015 which is converted from VS2012 with Mobilize Net Silverlight Bridge.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 1:44 AM
  • Thanks, Weiwei, but I think I'll wait a bit and see what comes out of the Mobilize group rather than taking the time to develop a  test app. I just found out that I don't have the latest version of Windows so I'm going to install that and see what happens.

I'll keep you informed.

- Charlie

Charles Santos

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 9:16 PM
  • Hi CESantos,

I will wait for your response after you install the latest version of Windows. Please tell us the new development about this problem.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:34 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

The Mobilize forum posted a workaround and that solved the problem. Turns out the Mobilize update was unable to remove a previous update that was applied to the Community Edition of Visual Studio 2015.

http://forums.mobilize.net/topic/16-unable-to-install/

The update to Windows solved a previous problem where the Mobilize program wanted an update but it wasn't clear what it wanted. The new Windows update did the trick.

Thanks for all your help.

- Charlie

Charles Santos

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 5:05 PM
  • Hi CESantos,,

I'm glad that you have resolved this problem and thanks for sharing your solution here. Please mark your reply as answer, which is benefit to other communities who has the same problem.

If any question about Visual Studio IDE, please feel free to come back to our forum.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, December 17, 2015 4:19 AM