none
Is it possible to create a container based on full windows server (not core/nano)? Found some presumably outdated guidance on core... RRS feed

• Question

• In investigating porting our existing applications to the container world, the first challenge seems to be getting things to run on server core in the first place.  I actually came across this link when looking for resources along those lines:

"you can't (or at least shouldn't) use it to run custom applications you've developed in-house. In short, Server Core is not an application hosting platform. " (from https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-ca/library/dd184076.aspx). 

Is this guidance outdated?  Speaking to people at Build this year, the implication was that everyone should be targeting server core, however some of our application dependencies (e.g. the SFB UCMA runtime) don't even install on core (at least not without some hacking).

I'm wondering if there's any way to containerize an application that has a dependency like this, possibly running on full server, or whether roles and dependencies installed on the host OS can be made visible to containers.  Definitely not on Win10/Hyper-V containers, so I'm spinning up a server 16 dev VM to test this out on server instead. 

Thursday, June 29, 2017 8:33 PM

All replies

• Thanks, I saw that table already, and so I suppose the answer is that the guidance that's on MSDN (which was one of the first results I found when looking form information on running on server core) is out of date, and that porting applications to server core is encouraged?  If that's the case, the docs should be updated. 
    Thursday, July 6, 2017 2:01 PM
  • Hello Chris,

No, that is not supported option and I think it will never be. Only supported OS for containers are as listed above nano server and core server. 

• Edited by IT_SL Sunday, July 9, 2017 9:40 PM
    Sunday, July 9, 2017 9:40 PM