table created in visual studio not shown in portal RRS feed

• Question

• i created a table in vs2013 for my azure sql database.
    the update completed successfully so the new table must be up there somewhere, 
    but when i go to the portal, it is not shown.
    why?

• Moved by Amanda Zhu Monday, January 5, 2015 7:49 AM
    Saturday, January 3, 2015 3:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on your description, you have seen the database update has been completed successfully from data tool operations, as far as I know, it means that your azure sql database has been updated, and the table you created must exist in azure portal, I tried on my side, everything worked as except, please check your azure sql connection, and clean cookies and sessions, then open azure sql management portal again.

Best Regards,

Jambor

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 1:42 AM

All replies

• Update doesn't add a new table, it puts the data changes into the current table.

jdweng

Saturday, January 3, 2015 3:33 PM
  • i've verified via a test program that the new table (created in vs2013) exists.
    yet, the azure portal does not show it.
    i'm just a bit concerned about differences between what vs and portal show.

is there documentation that discusses this?

Saturday, January 3, 2015 7:34 PM
  • Hi,

Based on your issue, Azure Storage forum is a better forum, I moved this thread there, experts there can provide you better support.

Thanks,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, January 5, 2015 7:50 AM
  • Hi,

Based on your description, you have seen the database update has been completed successfully from data tool operations, as far as I know, it means that your azure sql database has been updated, and the table you created must exist in azure portal, I tried on my side, everything worked as except, please check your azure sql connection, and clean cookies and sessions, then open azure sql management portal again.

Best Regards,

Jambor

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 1:42 AM
  • hi thanks for the tip.
    i was using Chrome, so while it was clearing its cookies and cache,
    i tried Firefox and when i attempted to view the 'zombie' table,
    the error was 404 which is correct since it really did not exist.
    in vs2013, using its sql explorer, that table was not shown.

before i could not even truncate it in Chrome but in Firefox, it actually deleted it.
    so the problem is due to Portal and browser interaction.
    what exactly i do not know, but likely your suggestion about cookies/cache
    was in the right track. i've seen many web page issues along this line.

fairly minor issue but for a beginner in Azure, it is not only frustrating but does not
    confidence in the product so Portal has to be improved.

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 12:11 PM
  • just to follow up on this Azure Portal issue:

1) Portal does not automatically know about sql tables that one creates in Visual Studio.
    2) Sql Management Portal is aware of any table changes including newly added ones.
    3) for Azure Portal, i had to create a table with the same name.  Simple enough but I wasted a lot of time
    trying to figure this manual strategy.

hopefully this will help another newbie in Azure world.

Friday, February 6, 2015 8:28 PM