TFS 2008: Importing the code history RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a problem with an installation of TFS 2008. We've been using a trial edition and have acquired the TFS 2008 now that it has expired. I've read the documentation and seen that modifying the installation I can upgrade the version. I'm waiting for the cd to get the key it's asking for.

Once I've completed this upgrade, I'll face my real problem. I have the data and application tier on the same server, and moved (while it was in trial) the TFS from one server to a dedicated development server with a clean installation of windows 2003 and sql server 2005. Following the steps on the documentation, I managed to do that but I didn't check the version of Sharepoint Services. As I hadn't installed the first server, I knew it was a requirement but didn't think of the version. I guess that was a big mistake. There are several things that now I can't do (one of the most important being able to create a project) and I'm quite sure that installing the license won't solve them.

So my question is: if I have a clean install of TFS 2008 on a new server, can I import the items from the old one? It's the history of our code what we would like to keep. If we haven't made any customization of the sharepoint part, would a restore of the data tier databases to the new server work? (with the default installation of sharepoint services I mean)

Thank you in advance
    Friday, January 16, 2009 8:22 AM

Answers

• You can move your data from one TFS to another TFS with the TFS to TFS Migration tool from Codeplex: http://www.codeplex.com/tfstotfsmigration

You can also try to restore the database to a new data tier, it might work. There is a guide available in the TFS Installation guide how you should restore the TFS database.
    Ewald - Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    • Marked as answer by Hua Chen Wednesday, January 21, 2009 3:41 AM
    Friday, January 16, 2009 8:51 AM

All replies

• You can move your data from one TFS to another TFS with the TFS to TFS Migration tool from Codeplex: http://www.codeplex.com/tfstotfsmigration

You can also try to restore the database to a new data tier, it might work. There is a guide available in the TFS Installation guide how you should restore the TFS database.
    Ewald - Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    • Marked as answer by Hua Chen Wednesday, January 21, 2009 3:41 AM
    Friday, January 16, 2009 8:51 AM
  • Hi,

I've managed to get TFS working :)

I still had the first server (server1) we used months ago with TFS and Sharepoint Services 2 installed. I backed up the TFS* databases on the server with Sharepoint Services 3 (server2), restored them to server1, updated the TFSIntegration database to change all existing references to server1, and it works. As we couldn't create new projects, and we hadn't customized any of the sharepoint the sites, the old sites still work, and point to the right projects.

All existing users have changed the server in team explorer and I have only one issue so far, related to permissions. The history is there, the status of the items is right (we had checked out files), it seems to be working fine.

Thanks!

Monday, February 2, 2009 7:59 AM