none
Integrating .net framework3.5 along with the applications setup project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I just wanted to add .Net framework version3.5 along with my setup project.So, whenever I start the installation it needs to check the existance of .net framework3.5. It its not then needs to install the framework automatically by downloading from the Microsofts site. Immediately after the framework installation needs to start the application installation. I have tried with prerequisites->download from the vendors site option. But there we need to install the framework manually by downloading from the MS site. Then need to start the setup again. But I need to do everything in one strech.
    Please help me out to solve this issue.
    Thanks in advance…..

Friday, May 7, 2010 7:20 AM

Answers

• Hi Sony,

Thank you for your clarification.

If you want to perform the .NET Framework downloading automatically, you can choose the option "Download prerequisites from the following location".

You might deploy .NET Framework 3.5 installer to the specified location like IIS or other file-share location.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, May 14, 2010 3:07 AM
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 3:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Sony,

Thank you for your post.

You can include .NET Framework package with your application installer.

As far as I know, Visual Studio can help developer to automatically install the prerequisite prior to the application.

In the Prerequisites dialog box, you can choose:

- If you want to deploy the installers for the prerequisites to a vendor (Microsoft), click Download prerequisites from the component vendor's web site.
    - If you want to deploy the installers for the prerequisites to the same location as your application installer, click Download prerequisites from the same location as my application.
    - If you want to deploy the installers for the prerequisites to a different location, click Download prerequisites from the following location and enter a local path, URL, or file-share location.
    (You must make sure that the installers for the prerequisites have been copied to the specified location with a subfolder for each prerequisite.)

Referring to your issue, you can try the option Download prerequisites from the same location as my application. It will let the end users install your application offline.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 8:48 AM
  • Hi Yichun Chen

Thank you for the reply. 

I have followed the steps that you have mentioned. It was working fine as I expected. But only one modification. I dont want to include .Net Framework 3.5 along with the setup as the setup size will increase. Instead of that .Net Framework 3.5 should "automatically download and install" from Microsofts site.  

Thanks in advance…..

Sony  

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 10:30 AM
  • Hi Sony,

Thank you for your feedback.

If you don't want to include .NET Framework 3.5 installer with your application setup file (offline install) but you also don't want to install it via the Internet, what do you want the installation behavior to be?

If you want to perform offline installation but have some concern on the size of .NET Framework 3.5, you can read the following helpful document:
    http://www.hanselman.com/blog/PermaLink.aspx?guid=af453d70-64b3-417e-9492-d115f929195d
    You could choose Client Profile of .NET Framework 3.5 which the size is smaller.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

(This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.)
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 5:48 AM
  • Hi Yichun Chen

Thank you for your time and effort.

Actually I want to install .net framework3.5 via internet only. But if I add the option 'Download prerequisites from the component vendor's web site', its going to the vendor's site and from there user needs to install it manually. But instead of that I wanted to install it automatically by downloading from the site(without going to the page and asking the user to click the download button and then to install it). After the framework installation it should go on with the application installation also. Hope now the requirement is clear. If no other option means I will go for Client Profile of .NET Framework 3.5, if its sufficient for the windows application.

Thanks in advance…..

Sony  

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 2:39 PM
  • Hi Sony,

Thank you for your clarification.

If you want to perform the .NET Framework downloading automatically, you can choose the option "Download prerequisites from the following location".

You might deploy .NET Framework 3.5 installer to the specified location like IIS or other file-share location.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, May 14, 2010 3:07 AM
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 3:49 AM