QA and prod on same azure Resource group RRS feed

• Question

• i have one Azure Tenant and two SharePoint online o365 tenant  one for each qa and prod Under Azure i have created one resource group under which i have 

1 Storage account

1 App Service 

1App Service plan 

1 App Service environment

1 virtual network 

this Resource group is dedicated for QA environment in which UAT is going on. 

Now my question is can i use the same Resource Group for Prod to or i have to create a new Resource group under which (Storage account,App Service ,App Service plan ,App Service environment,virtual network )

kirtesh

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 4:57 PM

All replies

• You can use the same resource group. However, in general, you would want to use a separate resource group. This not only reflects the different purpose of production and QA/UAT resources but also simplifies management of the two environments (assuming that you might have two different teams dealing with production and QA/UAT environments). 

More at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-resource-manager/resource-group-overview#resource-groups

hth
    Marcin

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 5:09 PM
  • Thanks Marcin for your reply,

My question is regarding the technical feasibility of using same resource group for both QA Sharepoint and Prod SharePoint which is possible as per your reply and the link which you had shared.

So it means I need not to re-create resource group which is consisting below :

Storage account,App Service ,App Service plan ,App Service environment, virtual network .

But how will i assign above mentioned component or resource group to Prod SharePoint application which is currently being used by QA SharePoint 

I mean current resource group is being used by QA now i have Prod SharePoint how i will assign the same resource group to Prod SharePoint application , and how will i manage the isolation of QA SharePoint application and Prod SharePoint application  

kirtesh

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 5:29 PM
  • Hi Kirtesh,

that's correct - this is technically possible - you can use resources within the same resource groups for prod and QA/UAT (even though this is generally not recommended).

If you want to manage isolation (from the resource management standpoint), you would need to do this on per-resource level (i.e. assign RBAC roles to individual resources) rather than on per resource group level.

As far as the application level access is concerned, you configure it by targeting individual resources - so that's independent of the resource group that these resources are part of. For example, you can create a separate storage account (in the same resource group) that would be used by your SharePoint production systems and a separate one for QA/UAT. Here as well, you could potentially use the same storage account for both - although again, this is against recommendations.

hth
    Marcin

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 5:39 PM