Setting up a user in SSRS RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

I need a user to access reports on the Reporting server. Can I create a user in SSRS and assign him the rights to access the reports. Also, can I grant the user the rights to add aother users to access the report. The user is not a part of the Active Directory.

Please help.

Sharmishtha

Friday, July 8, 2011 5:53 AM

Answers

All replies

• Refer: How to: Grant User Access to a Report Server (Report Manager), but this gives a step-by-step procedure for adding users who are a part of the Domain. In your case you are trying to add users who are not a part of the domain, meaning, you are trying to create users only specific to Reporting Services, am I right?

But Reporting Services either relies on AD to authenticate the users, or you can create a custom-authentication extension to authenticate the users.

In your case, you might need use a custom security extension, and use that to create/delete/modify users. Check the Forms authentication Sample here: http://msftrsprodsamples.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=SS2008%21Security%20Extension%20Sample&referringTitle=Home

Other references:

Hope this helps

Chaitanya( Twitter | Blogs )

Any documentation bug? Tell us about it at Connect. Please feel free to add any community comments in any of the MSDN/technet articles.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

The next CTP for SQL Server Code Name "Denali" is coming soon. Sign up now to be notified of the next CTP release.
    • Marked as answer by Sharmishtha Friday, July 8, 2011 7:49 AM
    Friday, July 8, 2011 6:19 AM
  • Thanks a lot Chaitanya,

Please help me with 1 more question.

I use Custom Aunthentication extension to create a user, i.e. define the user in the configuration file.

Can this user in turn have the right to assign other users to view the reports.

Please clarify.

Regards,

Sharmishtha

Friday, July 8, 2011 6:57 AM
  • Yes, the first user you add in config file can add any number of users, and assign permissions..
    Chaitanya( Twitter | Blogs )

Any documentation bug? Tell us about it at Connect. Please feel free to add any community comments in any of the MSDN/technet articles.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

The next CTP for SQL Server Code Name "Denali" is coming soon. Sign up now to be notified of the next CTP release.
    Friday, July 8, 2011 7:13 AM
  • Yes you can!! It is really frustrating Chaitanya if your not sure to go ahead and provide the wrong answer. You CAN configure SSRS in a workgroup environment. Simply do the following in the computer that is running SQL Report Services:

1) Go to Control Panel and create a user with admin rights.

2) Open Management Studio and add that user as a login using Windows Authentication

3) Have the person for which you set up the user access the Report Server portal utilizing the URL of it.

4) When prompted have the user put in the credentials you created in the form of:

U: "reportserver_computername\newuser"

P: "the_password_given"

==>let me know if you need any more help!

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 2:15 PM