Control memory usage on Forms RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I've been developing an application in C# for Windows Mobile 6.1. I created all forms at the beginning so that the navigation could be faster, and it worked correctly. However, now I've added several forms more, and the mobile phone throws Out of memory Exceptions in several cases (when I try to open the camera or open a video with the AxWMPControl).

I've changed the application so that it creates the forms when needed and disposes when finished, but I'm using the remote performance monitor in the powertoys and it doesn't seem to work. My forms are designed using mainly picturebox and images. If I dispose a form, picturebox and images are disposed too, or have I to implement IDisposable to dispose them by myself?

Thank you very much.
    Enrique
    Monday, June 29, 2009 9:57 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Enrique,

Better dispose each and every control before you dispose your form to avoid memory leaks.

Also check this links:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/raffael/archive/2008/02/21/netcf-memory-leak-now-what.aspx

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxcompact/thread/2a229b93-b055-4e62-9e55-ea1c5d41a186

Regards,
    Malleswar
    Monday, June 29, 2009 11:16 AM
  • Hi Malleswar.

Thanks for the information. Now I know that forms in compact framework aren't managed, and that's something that had me puzzled.

However, I don't know if the disposing of each control is working. Using the Remote Performance Monitor, I'm monitoring "Total bytes in use after GC", because it's the only statistics which shows info about native memory in use, and although it reaches 440 K when I create my second Form, after the dispose it doesn't return to 250 K, which was the previous value. I've checked that after the dispose, the root reference in the heap has disappeared, so it should release the used memory.

Category                 Name                                          Value      DeltaDescription
    GC                       Total Bytes In Use After GC                  449528          0The number of bytes of memory, native and managed, in use after the last Garbage Collection.

Should I use any other statistics or tool to do the performance monitoring?

Thanks,
    Enrique
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:37 AM
  • Hi, Malleswar

Now I'm disposing each and every control as you suggested me, and It seems to work correctly. I've tried if it worked creating and disposing my forms inside a loop without receiving Out Of Memory exceptions.

Thanks,
    Enrique
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 12:36 PM