Excel issues with importing CSV or HTML table data from URL - Sharepoint? Office365? RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

We have a client who is having issues importing CSV or HTML table data as one would do using Excel's Web Query import from a reporting application.  As the error message provided by Excel is unhelpful I'm reaching out to anyone who can help us begin to troubleshoot problems affecting what is normal standard Excel functionality.  I'd attach the error screenshot, but I can't because my account is not verified....needless to say it says "Microsoft Excel cannot access  the file https://www.avantalytics.com/reporting_handler?func=wquery&format=csv&logid=XXXX&key=MD5 "  

Where XXXX is a number and MD5 is an md5 code.  The symptoms stated in the error message are:

- the file name or path does not exist

-The file is being used by another program

-The workbook you are trying to save has the same name as a currently open workbook.

None of these symptoms are the case, naturally. The user encountered this with Excel2010, she was then upgraded to Excel2013 and is still experiencing the same issue. The output of this URL in a browser (IE, Chrome, Firefox) is CSV data for the affected user, so it is not a network connectivity issue.  In our testing environment using both Excel2010 or 2013 this file is imported successfully, so we cannot replicate.  The main difference I can determine between our test environment and the end-user is they have a Sharepoint installation and appear to have Office365 as well.

So,  my question might more appropriately be for Sharepoint or Office365 folks, but I can't be sure they're  a culprit.  Given this - does anyone have any knowledge of issues which might cause this with Sharepoint or Office365 integrated with Excel and/or have suggestions for getting more information from Excel or Windows other than this error message?  I've added the domain name as a trusted publisher in IE as I thought that might be the issue, but that hasn't solved anything.  As you can see its already https and there is no authentication or login - the md5 key is the authentication.  The certificate for the application endpoint is valid and registered via GoDaddy CA.

I'm at a loss and would love some suggestions on things to check/try.

Thanks  -Ross

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 12:43 AM

Answers

• Hi Ross,

>> In our testing environment using both Excel 2010 and 2013 this file is imported successfully, so we cannot replicate.

I suspect it is caused by the difference of web server security settings.

KB: Error message when you use Web query to a secure Web page (HTTPS://) in Excel: "Unable to open"

Hope it will help.

By the way, this forum is mainly for discussing questions about Office Development (VSTO, VBA and Apps for Office .etc.). For Office products feature specific questions, you could consider posting them on Office IT Pro forum or Microsoft Office Community.

Regards,

Jeffrey

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by L.Hl Wednesday, February 25, 2015 8:35 AM
    Thursday, February 19, 2015 2:11 AM

All replies

• Seems that you can get the workaround in  Sharepoint or office 365 forum, for my site ,that forum is more appropriate for thread 
    Wednesday, February 18, 2015 2:46 PM
  • Hi Ross,

>> In our testing environment using both Excel 2010 and 2013 this file is imported successfully, so we cannot replicate.

I suspect it is caused by the difference of web server security settings.

KB: Error message when you use Web query to a secure Web page (HTTPS://) in Excel: "Unable to open"

Hope it will help.

By the way, this forum is mainly for discussing questions about Office Development (VSTO, VBA and Apps for Office .etc.). For Office products feature specific questions, you could consider posting them on Office IT Pro forum or Microsoft Office Community.

Regards,

Jeffrey

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by L.Hl Wednesday, February 25, 2015 8:35 AM
    Thursday, February 19, 2015 2:11 AM