none
Developing a windows console app for older PC's RRS feed

• General discussion

• First, let me apologize if my following question is either elementary or confusing.  I'm not exactly well rounded with the subject of compatibility on older PC's.

My situation/question is this:
    I'd like to write a peice of software for many PC's.  Some of these PC's date back to the days of windows NT and I am worried if I write it using even .net 2.0 framework that I'd be doing the unspeakable.  Is 2.0 framework a viable option?  If not, what can I do to make my VS2008 use only the libraries available to those older operating systems?

Many of these older PC's are not kept up to date on windows updates and that won't change. 

Much appreciation,
    Nick

• Changed type YiChun Chen Friday, June 26, 2009 1:58 AM Do not follow up
    Friday, June 19, 2009 2:25 PM

All replies

• The .NET Framework 2.0 is supported on Windows NT 4.0 Operating Systems and above.
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 2:35 AM
  • Hi Nick,

Please check the system requirement of .NET Framework 2.0 in the following document:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms229070.aspx

You can find:
    .NET Framework cannot be installed on the following operating systems:
    Microsoft Windows 95
    Microsoft Windows NT® Server
    Windows NT Workstation
    Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition for Itanium-based Systems
    Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition for Itanium-based Systems

For your second question, what do you mean "make my VS2008 use only the libraries available to those older operating systems"? Do you mean the assemblies in your older operating systems?

Hope it helps.

Thanks
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Monday, June 22, 2009 10:09 AM typo
    Monday, June 22, 2009 10:07 AM
  • Hi Nick,

We are changing the issue type to “Comment” because you have not followed up with the necessary information. If you have more time to look at the issue and provide more information, please feel free to change the issue type back to “Question” by editing your initial post and changing the radio button at the top of the post editor window. If the issue is resolved, we will appreciate it if you can share the solution so that the answer can be found and used by other community members having similar questions.

Thank you!
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, June 26, 2009 1:57 AM