Better Way For Heavy Data Transmission Between Client & Service RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

Currently I am working on a such application (in WPF, WCF) which is having client & service communication with heavy objects. We are doing all Database processing at service side and if necessary passing Data Table or stream to client side. Execution call goes from client to service and it is taking time (same from service to client) due to transmission of heavy objects(data).

I just came across Protocol buffer concept for faster data transmission between client & service. May I know what are major advantage & disadvantage of Protocol Buffer, before implementing it or Is any other better solution for transmission of objects from client to service or vice versa.

Thanks in advance.

Monday, October 26, 2015 1:28 PM

Answers

• Currently I am working on a such application (in WPF, WCF) which is having client & service communication with heavy objects. We are doing all Database processing at service side and if necessary passing Data Table or stream to client side. Execution call goes from client to service and it is taking time (same from service to client) due to transmission of heavy objects(data).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Datatable is a problem for you due to the boxing and unboxing that is taking place. It's best that you use a custom object like a DTO (Data Transfer Object) and a List<T>. Of course, the objects need to be serializable.

http://lauteikkehn.blogspot.com/2012/03/datatable-vs-list.html

• Proposed as answer by Grady_Dong Friday, October 30, 2015 5:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Grady_Dong Friday, November 6, 2015 1:16 AM
    Monday, October 26, 2015 2:52 PM