softwares needed to install on Staging and PROD servers for office development in SP Farm RRS feed

• Question

• You cannot vote on your own post
    hi,

wanted to know what softwares i need to install in my staging and prod servers, if my SP portal solution contains parsing the docs, excels, csv files. i have  installed ms office in my dev env , sp 2013 etc.

my  question is , should i install ms office in the staging and PROD servers also for working with these files  [ except SP installables] ?

Das

• Edited by DADasRF Wednesday, January 7, 2015 9:08 AM
    Wednesday, January 7, 2015 9:07 AM

All replies

• i think you need to have office web apps server configure to use office docs
    Wednesday, January 7, 2015 10:51 AM
  • Yes, you need to have Office Web Applications Server 2013 installed on a separate server(s) and the you bind SharePoint 2013 to it.

Check the TechNet link below under supported operating systems and software

Requirements

Office Web Apps 2013

Νικοσ Γιαννιοσ

• Edited by Nikos Yannios Wednesday, January 7, 2015 6:10 PM additional info
    • Proposed as answer by SekThang Thursday, January 8, 2015 7:07 AM
    Wednesday, January 7, 2015 6:06 PM
  • So, 

I can assume that I dont need to install MS OFFICE 2013 on the PROD server fo working with the exces, ppts, docs.

because I have my SP Application's visual web parts with lot of business rules which does the parsing of excel file using openxml sdk/APIs custmoization on the excel file.

So my  doubt was do we actually need to install  OFFICE 2013 on the PROD server, since my code  is a Full TrustedCode solution and  it depends on the files which is kept on D drive of the PROD server.

I am reading the  these excel files from the D:\ drive and do the parsing.

so i can confirm that i dont need to install  office in prod server, and  its just OWA 2013 is required on the server other than the SP WFE.

Das

• Edited by DADasRF Thursday, January 8, 2015 7:00 AM
    Thursday, January 8, 2015 7:00 AM