Silverlight Architecture for Offline Capability RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

We are building a large scale Silverlight based LOB application which requires offline capability especially when the network goes down. We are planning to leverage Microsoft Sync Framework to enable offline capability. From architectural standpoint, we are considering the following options:

1. Develop the entire application using Silverlight

2. Use ASP.NET for primary development and leverage Silverlight ONLY where needed. Per Microsoft Architecture guide, this option is suitable if you already have an ASP.NET Web Forms application and want to leverage the rich visualization and UI capabilities of Silverlight (OR) if you are planning to transition your Web application to Silverlight

3. Use Silverlight for primary development and leverage ASP.NET ONLY where needed (Ex: Silverlight currently does not support SQL reporting capability. It makes sense to use ASP.NET to enable such capabilities which are not available in Silverlight)

My understanding is that if we want to truly enable offline capability, we should leverage Out of Browser (OOB) style of deployment where the XAP files are downloaded and cached. This enables the application to function even if the web server that hosts the Silverlight application or network is down.  If this is the case, does it make sense to even consider option 2 from the above list? If the application is developed primarily using ASP.NET, the application always requires network connectivity. I think Option 1 and 2 are appropriate if we want to truly enable offline access using isolated storage. I understand that Option 3 will not work for the functions that use ASP.NET controls if the network is down. I just want to make sure this is a valid assumption. Please advice.

Thanks

Rasheed

• Edited by arasheed Tuesday, September 7, 2010 5:27 PM
    Monday, September 6, 2010 4:24 PM

Answers

• Your assumptions are pretty valid. Developing the complete app in silverlight and using ASP.NET services for certain business functions is the norm. If you work with  lots of data, taking the data offline lets you work truly offline. Like you mentioned any scenario which requires a service counter part will be non avaiblae during offline mode.
    Maheshwar Jayaraman - http://blogs.msdn.com/mahjayar
    • Marked as answer by arasheed Tuesday, September 7, 2010 5:28 PM
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 2:15 AM

All replies

• Your assumptions are pretty valid. Developing the complete app in silverlight and using ASP.NET services for certain business functions is the norm. If you work with  lots of data, taking the data offline lets you work truly offline. Like you mentioned any scenario which requires a service counter part will be non avaiblae during offline mode.
    Maheshwar Jayaraman - http://blogs.msdn.com/mahjayar
    • Marked as answer by arasheed Tuesday, September 7, 2010 5:28 PM
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 2:15 AM
  • Thank you. Appreciate it
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 5:28 PM