Control Panel and Store have disappeared

Question

• !Serious issue that requires Microsoft's Attention!

My Control Panel and Store have gone walkies, I cleared Temporary files using Auslogics boost speed, after I found them gone!

I think the Control Panel and Store are very important parts of the Metro Style Menu System, so you should really put them in a safe place where no one would delete them, I believe that would not be the Temporary file Folders, which is what has happened, a better place would be system32 or syswow64 folders, It needs fixing right away, and before final build,

Off Topic : I really think the syswow64 folder needs a rename, why not call it system64, it makes sense and sounds right,

Also none of the other Metro style apps are opening when i click on them, so the hole Metro Style Menu System is now broken, lets say im a real tester, 

I did the same thing on my netbook, opened Auslogics BoostSpeed and scanned and repaired the errors, and now My Metro Style Menu System is useless, I now need help as I dont know how to fix this serious issue as its way over my skill level, so the only option i have is to reinstalling the hole of Windows Developer Preview which takes a bit of time, I also then have to reinstall all the drives on both my netbook, and my IMac, I could probably copy the files and see if putting them back will get it working again, 

"Just to make things clear, this is not the Control Panel which you see in Windows 7, it can only be found in Windows Developer Preview, in the Metro Style Menu System"

• Edited by SignedAdam Saturday, September 17, 2011 3:03 PM More spelling mistakes and making things clear
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 9:15 AM

Answers

• Find the full list of deleted files here, in a txt file, "http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ERYWQWQZ"

To fix the problem you need 3 Shortcuts, which sadly Are very hard to make, as they have no Target,

However, I copied the 3 above and put them in a zip file, also copied Immersive RemoteDesktop, which is in a other folder, with a read me file to help, you just need to unzip the shortcuts and put them back in 

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories

Store and Control Panel need to go in Programs, and Immersive RemoteDesktop needs to go in Accessories

once done you will find them added back to the Metro Style Menu System, at the end of the list of apps, simply move them back to the start of the list,

done,

Download the fix, here, "http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z88O4846"

www.SignedAdam.webs.com
    • Marked as answer by SignedAdam Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:09 AM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 10:43 AM
  • The rest of the applications not working would possibly be this line:

"Application Paths","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\","Invalid application path."

Removing this deletes the list of where installed applications on the computer are stored. It doesn't appear to include Metro Apps, but it does include Internet Explorer, which would be used to run said Metro Apps.

Microsoft isn't responsible for 3rd party applications, so it can't stop a program like Auslogics from messing with files in this way. Microsoft are not likely to take any action over this.

Registry/system cleaners should be avoided until you know which items are safe to remove and which are not.

In regards to naming SysWOW64, see the following: http://www.samlogic.net/articles/32-64-bit-windows-folder-x86-syswow64.htm. Note that the folders are opposite to what they may seem: "SysWOW64" actually contains 32 bit files, whereas "System32" is 64 bit files (for compatibility reasons).

• Marked as answer by SignedAdam Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:00 PM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

But, Autologics is not working fine It doesn't have to delete anything from AppData.

Anyway, try opening a search page (Windows + F) and type Control panel (It has to be in Apps), right click and see if you can Pin it to Start Screen again.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:31 PM
  • I also unpinned an app and have no idea how to get it back.  I can't seem to find a list of "unpinned" apps.  Any help would be appreciated.
    If all is not lost, where is it?
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:55 PM
  • Your wrong Sergio, this is a serious issue that requires Microsoft's attention, all the Apps do not open after the program deleted some Temporary Files in the Windows Developer Preview, I know this is a issue, because I did try it on a different computer and got the same results, None of the apps open when you click on them, two apps are missing, the store and Control Panel, this is likely because Microsoft store the apps in a temporary folder which was cleaned which removed the two apps and files related to all the other apps which wont open on both the computers, This is a serious issue which I want to see fixed before final build, please report this issue, to someone building the operating system
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:01 PM
  • Please click Ask a question, this is a serious issue, yours is off topic
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:04 PM
  • Your wrong Sergio, this is a serious issue that requires Microsoft's attention, all the Apps do not open after the program deleted some Temporary Files in the Windows Developer Preview, I know this is a issue, because I did try it on a different computer and got the same results, None of the apps open when you click on them, two apps are missing, the store and Control Panel, this is likely because Microsoft store the apps in a temporary folder which was cleaned which removed the two apps and files related to all the other apps which wont open on both the computers, This is a serious issue which I want to see fixed before final build, please report this issue, to someone building the operating system

Remember you can use the Feedback tool to send it to Microsoft.
    Can you please tell me what Temporal folders Auslogics deletes? Or can you give me the link to download it? I would like to see what happen.

Thanks so much.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 6:02 PM
  • I also unpinned an app and have no idea how to get it back.  I can't seem to find a list of "unpinned" apps.  Any help would be appreciated.

Hi, you can pin any icon again by searching, just press Windows + F key, type the program name, (e.j Desktop), right click on it and select Pin.

Regards,

Saturday, September 17, 2011 6:04 PM
  • Thank you very much Sergio.  Found it and all pinned again.  Appreciate your help.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 8:16 PM
  • http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/boost-speed/download/ 

^-- you can download the program here, I dont know what it deletes, it does show you a list before you fix the problems after it scanned, however I did not think about copying that,  after you click fix errors, the Store and Control Panel are gone, also none of your apps open ?

www.SignedAdam.webs.com
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 8:24 AM
  • Registry Errors to be deleted
    "Category","Name","Description"
    "Application Paths","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\","Invalid application path."
    "Application Paths","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\migwiz.exe\","Empty, unused registry key."
    "File Associations","HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\ActivatableClasses\CLSID\","Invalid CLSID association."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\.group\Content Type","Invalid File Type reference."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\.library-ms\Content Type","Invalid File Type reference."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\.prf\Content Type","Invalid File Type reference."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\.psc1\Content Type","Invalid File Type reference."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\.rat\Content Type","Invalid File Type reference."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\.searchConnector-ms\Content Type","Invalid File Type reference."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\.swf\","Empty, unused registry key."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\.usertile-ms\Content Type","Invalid File Type reference."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\.wll\","Invalid File Type reference."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\.wps\","Empty, unused registry key."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\.wpt\","Empty, unused registry key."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\.wtf\","Empty, unused registry key."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\AtWorkRendering\Shell\PrintTo\Command\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\InfoPath.TemplatePart.3\Shell\","Empty, unused registry key."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Launcher.SystemSetttings\Shell\Open\","Invalid context menu entry."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\MailFileAtt\CLSID\","Invalid CLSID association."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\mapifvbx.object.1\CLSID\","Invalid CLSID association."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\mapifvbx.object\CLSID\","Invalid CLSID association."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\OISbmpfile\","Empty, unused registry key."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\OISemffile\","Empty, unused registry key."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\OISgiffile\","Empty, unused registry key."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\OISjpegfile\","Empty, unused registry key."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\OISpngfile\","Empty, unused registry key."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\OIStiffile\","Empty, unused registry key."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\OISwmffile\","Empty, unused registry key."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\OneIndex14\Shell\","Empty, unused registry key."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\SharePointWorkspaceSearch\Shell\","Empty, unused registry key."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\StickyNotes\Shell\","Empty, unused registry key."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\SyncRibbonCommands\Shell\OfflineFilesSync\","Invalid context menu entry."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.config.8.0\DefaultIcon\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.config.8.0\Shell\Open\Command\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.cs.8.0\DefaultIcon\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.cs.8.0\Shell\Open\Command\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.csproj.8.0\DefaultIcon\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.csproj.8.0\Shell\Open\Command\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.datasource.8.0\DefaultIcon\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.datasource.8.0\Shell\Open\Command\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.disco.8.0\DefaultIcon\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.disco.8.0\Shell\Open\Command\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.dtd.8.0\DefaultIcon\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.dtd.8.0\Shell\Open\Command\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.resx.8.0\DefaultIcon\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.sdl.8.0\DefaultIcon\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.sdl.8.0\Shell\Open\Command\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.settings.8.0\DefaultIcon\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.snippet.8.0\DefaultIcon\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.snippet.8.0\Shell\Open\Command\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.snk.8.0\DefaultIcon\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.user.8.0\DefaultIcon\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.vb.8.0\DefaultIcon\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.vb.8.0\Shell\Open\Command\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.vbproj.8.0\DefaultIcon\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.vbproj.8.0\Shell\Open\Command\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.vssettings.8.0\DefaultIcon\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.vstemplate.8.0\DefaultIcon\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.vstemplate.8.0\Shell\Open\Command\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.wsdl.8.0\DefaultIcon\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.wsdl.8.0\Shell\Open\Command\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.xdr.8.0\DefaultIcon\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.xdr.8.0\Shell\Open\Command\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.xml.8.0\DefaultIcon\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.xml.8.0\Shell\Open\Command\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.xsc.8.0\DefaultIcon\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.xsl.8.0\DefaultIcon\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.xsl.8.0\Shell\Open\Command\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.xslt.8.0\DefaultIcon\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.xslt.8.0\Shell\Open\Command\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\VSTA.xss.8.0\DefaultIcon\","File does not exist."
    "File Associations","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\WMP.PlayCD\Shell\Play\","Invalid context menu entry."
    "File Extensions","HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.dll\OpenWithList\","Empty, unused registry key."
    "File Extensions","HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.lnk\OpenWithList\","Empty, unused registry key."
    "File Extensions","HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.log\OpenWithList\","Empty, unused registry key."
    "File Extensions","HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.MSI\OpenWithList\","Empty, unused registry key."
    "File Extensions","HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.mui\","Empty, unused registry key."
    "File Extensions","HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.mui\OpenWithList\","Empty, unused registry key."
    "File Extensions","HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.old\","Empty, unused registry key."
    "File Extensions","HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.old\OpenWithList\","Empty, unused registry key."
    "File Extensions","HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.zip\OpenWithList\","Empty, unused registry key."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{04CEA04E-2BEE-49B2-B420-7E3F94DD6854}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{0AE8E6C3-4436-4616-A5EF-6C1972302E07}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{1FB5C9B1-BD0E-4F75-9290-26AF6C1EF1CF}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{2644AE48-F546-47CE-8908-4AD3D691D35B}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{30185C3F-2CED-4DD4-97F9-A6C451C43878}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{338DB6DD-A43D-4570-B3FA-73409353AAC8}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{458A426F-4386-4AD8-B9D4-544276BB2666}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{8752C26B-EA97-48FB-B1AF-B1501212A751}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{8A7B4C3D-90D5-4C85-8837-021A4E1DEB34}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{8DFF5B40-8BF0-4C85-A0B4-CA46F7FFC66C}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{94F747D1-D894-4C2B-940F-5995DB71927B}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{9D13AF15-BEF3-4F51-8965-817746EAF07D}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{A277480A-5393-415C-A6E2-D5790DF45DEB}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{B73135A3-2DD6-4208-B8BB-92297C55C255}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{D61BAA22-82C1-4703-A802-4492593C7017}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{DDCECD08-9722-473D-B1E3-F80F11EDFA83}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{ED0D0394-A563-47EC-9D9B-6C52F4D8766C}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{EEC79C10-C25C-41BF-9E17-CCC51C1CA0FB}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{EF870573-7807-4E1E-9E79-2100BDC31618}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\MCX-In-TCP","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\MCX-In-UDP","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\MCX-McrMgr-Out-TCP","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\MCX-Out-TCP","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\MCX-Out-UDP","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\MCX-Prov-Out-TCP","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\NetPres-In-TCP","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\NetPres-In-TCP-NoScope","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\NetPres-Out-TCP","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\NetPres-Out-TCP-NoScope","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\NetPres-WSD-In-UDP","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\NetPres-WSD-Out-UDP","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{04CEA04E-2BEE-49B2-B420-7E3F94DD6854}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{0AE8E6C3-4436-4616-A5EF-6C1972302E07}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{1FB5C9B1-BD0E-4F75-9290-26AF6C1EF1CF}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{2644AE48-F546-47CE-8908-4AD3D691D35B}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{30185C3F-2CED-4DD4-97F9-A6C451C43878}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{338DB6DD-A43D-4570-B3FA-73409353AAC8}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{458A426F-4386-4AD8-B9D4-544276BB2666}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{8752C26B-EA97-48FB-B1AF-B1501212A751}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{8A7B4C3D-90D5-4C85-8837-021A4E1DEB34}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{8DFF5B40-8BF0-4C85-A0B4-CA46F7FFC66C}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{94F747D1-D894-4C2B-940F-5995DB71927B}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{9D13AF15-BEF3-4F51-8965-817746EAF07D}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{A277480A-5393-415C-A6E2-D5790DF45DEB}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{B73135A3-2DD6-4208-B8BB-92297C55C255}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{D61BAA22-82C1-4703-A802-4492593C7017}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{DDCECD08-9722-473D-B1E3-F80F11EDFA83}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{ED0D0394-A563-47EC-9D9B-6C52F4D8766C}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{EEC79C10-C25C-41BF-9E17-CCC51C1CA0FB}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\{EF870573-7807-4E1E-9E79-2100BDC31618}","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\MCX-In-TCP","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\MCX-In-UDP","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\MCX-McrMgr-Out-TCP","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\MCX-Out-TCP","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\MCX-Out-UDP","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\MCX-Prov-Out-TCP","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\NetPres-In-TCP","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\NetPres-In-TCP-NoScope","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\NetPres-Out-TCP","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\NetPres-Out-TCP-NoScope","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\NetPres-WSD-In-UDP","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Firewall","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\NetPres-WSD-Out-UDP","Invalid firewall rule."
    "Help Files","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Help\nwind9.cnt","Invalid help file entry."
    "Help Files","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Help\nwind9.hlp","Invalid help file entry."
    "Help Files","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Help\nwindcs9.cnt","Invalid help file entry."
    "Help Files","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Help\nwindcs9.hlp","Invalid help file entry."
    "Help Files","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\HTML Help\IMTCEN14.CHM","Invalid help file entry."
    "Help Files","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\HTML Help\IMTCEN14.CHM","Invalid help file entry."
    "Installed Software","HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Patches\2265C8386E5786E4AB88B84F364E4457\SourceList\Net\1","Folder does not exist."
    "Installed Software","HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Patches\DB4ECA124673F934A9112E71D7274B63\SourceList\Net\1","Folder does not exist."
    "Installed Software","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{F132AF7F-7BCA-4EDE-8A7C-958108FE7DBC}\InstallSource","Folder does not exist."
    "Installed Software","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\DXM_Runtime\","Empty, unused registry key."
    "Installed Software","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\DXM_Runtime\","Empty, unused registry key."
    "Installed Software","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\MPlayer2\","Empty, unused registry key."
    "Installed Software","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\MPlayer2\","Empty, unused registry key."
    "Shortcuts","C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Immersive RemoteDesktop.lnk\C:\Users\signedadam\Desktop\notused","Invalid shortcut."
    "Shortcuts","C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Immersive Control Panel.lnk\C:\Users\signedadam\Desktop\notused","Invalid shortcut."
    "Shortcuts","C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Store.lnk\C:\Users\signedadam\Desktop\notused","Invalid shortcut."

www.SignedAdam.webs.com
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 8:43 AM
  • Find the full list of deleted files here, in a txt file, "http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ERYWQWQZ"

To fix the problem you need 3 Shortcuts, which sadly Are very hard to make, as they have no Target,

However, I copied the 3 above and put them in a zip file, also copied Immersive RemoteDesktop, which is in a other folder, with a read me file to help, you just need to unzip the shortcuts and put them back in 

Store and Control Panel need to go in Programs, and Immersive RemoteDesktop needs to go in Accessories

once done you will find them added back to the Metro Style Menu System, at the end of the list of apps, simply move them back to the start of the list,

done,

www.SignedAdam.webs.com
    • Marked as answer by SignedAdam Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:09 AM
  • On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 14:01:18 +0000, SignedAdam wrote:

Your wrong Sergio, this is a serious?issue?that?requires?Microsoft's attention, all the Apps do not open after the program deleted some Temporary Files in the Windows Developer Preview, I know this is a issue, because I did try it on a?different?computer and got the same?results, None of the apps open when you click on them, two apps are missing, the store and Control Panel, this is?likely?because Microsoft store the apps in a temporary folder which was cleaned which removed the two apps and files related to all the other apps which wont open on both the computers, This is a serious issue which I want to see fixed before?final?build, please report this issue, to someone?building?the operating system

So, this is your own fault. The list you posted in this post:

http://social.Msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/6212fafa-9aca-404e-b268-a5af13eddf1b#0bb95508-7368-4c3e-a864-068583c04815

is not a list of "Temporary Files" but rather is a list of entries in the
    Registry which is the configuration database for Windows. Every single item
    in that list is a registry entry, not a temporary file. If you don't
    understand enough about Windows to get the difference, then you've no one
    to blame but yourself, and perhaps Auslogics. Running a program that
    modifies the registry on a operating system for which it wasn't designed
    is, well, a really, really bad idea. This is not a Microsoft problem, this
    is a huge mistake by an end user who doesn't know what they are doing.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Cassette:  A very small petite cass--usually achieved through exercise.

• On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 10:43:18 +0000, Paul Adare wrote:

Every single item
    in that list is a registry entry, not a temporary file

Ok, the last 3 items are in fact files, but they certainly aren't
    "Temporary Files" by any stretch of the imagination.

Paul Adare
    To err is human; to forgive, beyond the scope of the Operating System.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 10:48 AM
  • I think you should look in to it more, as, there is a list of Temporary files that were also deleted, and the Windows Developer Preview should be backwards compatible, with at least Windows 7 programs, the hole of Microsoft sells there products as backwards compatible, did you not hear Steve Ballmer at the end of day 2 keynote 

I'd like to add that, All my apps are still not working, but least the Store and the Control Panel also the Remote Desktop are now working, thanks to my self :D

www.SignedAdam.webs.com
    • Edited by SignedAdam Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:07 AM Thats half the problem fixed
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 10:52 AM
  • On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 10:52:50 +0000, SignedAdam wrote:

I think you should look in to it more,?as, there is a list of Temporary files that were also deleted, and the Windows Developer Preview should be backwards compatible, with at least Windows 7 programs, the hole of Microsoft sells there products as backwards?compatible, did you not hear Steve Ballmer at the end of day 2 keynote

I did look at your list again, see my follow-up. Not a single one of those
    was a Temporary file, what leads you to believe they were?

I think you need to look into what "backward compatible" actually means.
    The application ran. That means even though it may have been designed for
    Windows 7, it executed in Windows 8, therefore it is "compatible". Since
    this is some kind of file/registry cleaner, which Microsoft really frowns
    upon in the first place, means that if it finds something it doesn't
    recognize, its going to delete it. Since Windows 8 has a whole bunch of
    stuff in it that wasn't in Windows 7, this program is going to delete a
    whole bunch of stuff it shouldn't. That does not mean that Windows 8 is not
    backwards compatible. It means that the app in question needs to be updated
    to understand the changes in Windows 8.

You're lucky that your system even boots after running that app. IMO, and
    I'm sure that a whole bunch of folks are going to agree with me, you really
    should consider resetting or reinstalling Windows 8 as you've got no idea
    what impact deleting all of those registry entries may have on Windows 8.

Paul Adare
    Daddy, what does "Formatting Drive C:" mean?

Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:07 AM
  • Paul, thats not the full list of what was deleted, please read my comment, here, i'll repeat my self again, 

download the full list, here "http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ERYWQWQZ"

because the Microsoft forums only let you post so much, you will see it was not just Registry Errors,

Thanks for the advice, Im going to reinstall the hole of Windows Developer Preview,

www.SignedAdam.webs.com
    • Edited by SignedAdam Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:19 AM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:18 AM
  • On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 11:18:37 +0000, SignedAdam wrote:

Paul, thats not the full list of what was deleted, please read my comment, here, i'll?repeat?my self again,?
    >
    download the full list, here "http://www.megaupload.com
    ?d=ERYWQWQZ"

because the Microsoft forums only let you post so much, you will see it was not just Registry Errors,

?

Thanks for the advice, Im going to reinstall the hole of Windows Developer Preview,

The Temp files that got deleted didn't cause your problem. The problem was
    caused by the following deletions:

"Shortcuts","C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start
    Menu\Programs\Accessories\Immersive
    RemoteDesktop.lnk\C:\Users\signedadam\Desktop\notused","Invalid shortcut."
    "Shortcuts","C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Immersive
    Control Panel.lnk\C:\Users\signedadam\Desktop\notused","Invalid shortcut."
    "Shortcuts","C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows
    Store.lnk\C:\Users\signedadam\Desktop\notused","Invalid shortcut."

and again, this was your fault. It wasn't Windows 8 fault, nor was it
    Auslogics fault.

Paul Adare
    The world is coming to an end...  SAVE YOUR BUFFERS!!

Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:31 AM
  • I looked through the entire list, and found the cause of your issues:

"Shortcuts","C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Immersive RemoteDesktop.lnk\C:\Users\signedadam\Desktop\notused","Invalid shortcut."
    "Shortcuts","C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Immersive Control Panel.lnk\C:\Users\signedadam\Desktop\notused","Invalid shortcut."
    "Shortcuts","C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Store.lnk\C:\Users\signedadam\Desktop\notused","Invalid shortcut."

Those three lines show the program deleting the links to the Remote Desktop App, the Control Panel app and the Windows Store App, respectively. In addition, the following lines are likely to break other things too:

"Application Paths","HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\migwiz.exe\","Empty, unused registry key."

Further, there's other lines in there that remove useful things, such as file type associations.

None of the temporary files deleted (ie. below the "Junk files to be deleted" line in the log) caused the issue. If you are using a registry/system "cleaner", the rule is if you aren't sure of an item being removed, then do not remove it.

EDIT: Paul beat me to it
    • Edited by Raevn Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:33 AM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:33 AM
  • Well after using it, it was not only the shortcuts, it was also every app you can see in the photo, stopped working, none of them work, I click and click, but they dont open, so theres something else it deleted as well, I really think people should be looking in to this as you could have average users like my self doing the same thing again, but with the final build, are you going to tell everyone who buys windows 8, its there own fault, 

Remember, I may be a average user, but im helping and dont get paid for any of the work I do, Im here to find problems in my own time, and show you them, im not here for you to have a joke with your mates, I want to make Windows better for everyone, not only my self, and thats why im here, right now theres a problem, id like the right people to see it, and make sure it does not happen with the release candidate

www.SignedAdam.webs.com
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:12 PM
  • The rest of the applications not working would possibly be this line:

Removing this deletes the list of where installed applications on the computer are stored. It doesn't appear to include Metro Apps, but it does include Internet Explorer, which would be used to run said Metro Apps.

Microsoft isn't responsible for 3rd party applications, so it can't stop a program like Auslogics from messing with files in this way. Microsoft are not likely to take any action over this.

Registry/system cleaners should be avoided until you know which items are safe to remove and which are not.

In regards to naming SysWOW64, see the following: http://www.samlogic.net/articles/32-64-bit-windows-folder-x86-syswow64.htm. Note that the folders are opposite to what they may seem: "SysWOW64" actually contains 32 bit files, whereas "System32" is 64 bit files (for compatibility reasons).

• Marked as answer by SignedAdam Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:00 PM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:05 PM
  • On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 12:12:14 +0000, SignedAdam wrote:

Remember, I may be a?average user,?but im helping and dont get paid for any of the work I do, Im here to find problems in my own time, and show you them, im not here for you to have a joke with your mates, I want to make Windows better for everyone, not only my self, and thats why im here, right now theres a problem, id like the right people to see it, and make sure it does not happen with the?release candidate

As I've already stated this is a problem with the application you're using,
    and not with Windows 8. If you want to complain to someone then complain to
    the people who developed that application in the first place.

Paul Adare
    MIPS:  Meaningless Indicator of Processor Speed.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 2:19 PM
  • Thank you Raevn for you great response !!
    www.SignedAdam.webs.com
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:05 PM

done,

www.SignedAdam.webs.com

Omg, thank you so much! worked for me like a charm! i can't thank you enough, was dreading restoring the os
    Monday, September 19, 2011 9:30 PM
  • thank you so much, any idea on how to install again news? (rss feed app)

i unistalled it because it crashes after i deleted all the feeds..

Friday, September 23, 2011 11:12 AM
  • This is a great thread. 

It exposes several things that are great to see in print, sort of lesson on how not to do things:

1). Always blame Microsoft.  (Even if the problem is the direct result of another vendor's "cleaning tool")

2). People assume that since there are registry cleaners, that there is a genuine need to have a registry cleaned.

3). More important than #2, people assume that since Microsoft doesn't provide a registry cleaner, its because Microsoft doesn't really know how to do it, so you have to get these important tools from people who "really" know what they are doing.  As an adjunct to this, I've actually seen people type "Microsoft doesn't want our registry cleaned, they want our machines to slow down so we have to reinstall then hopefully they can catch us during reinstall, flag our key as invalid, and make us buy new copies".

4). When you show someone what was removed that had a direct effect on the problem they are experiencing, they'll turn right around and tell you you missed a few, your reply was incomplete, and basically call you into question on your accuracy rather than admit their "cleaner" humped the goat right there for all the world to see.

And you know what's funny?  He'll probably continue to remember this as a "Microsoft problem".  If anyone asks after it goes RTM "should I upgrade to Win8?", the likely response will be "I don't suggest that, I had all sorts of problems with the developers release and had to install it a couple of times in order to use it.  It seems Win8 has a hard time running with other vendor's software".

Authoratatively spoken, of course.

DAS

Friday, September 23, 2011 12:05 PM
  • Im sorry Win7Tester, is this some kind of attack, Microsoft do have a cleaner, it's called Disk Cleanup, the program it's self, is integrated in to windows, and it really needs a rename, like Drive Cleanup because most new computers, "now days" have solid state drive, I'd say the hole of windows really does need to be built from the ground up again, as theres lots of mistakes, things Microsoft have not seen, like the folder "WinSxS" for example, go ahead, google it, because the 1st things your see are, problems with space, still Microsoft have not fixed that, thats not the only folder that gets bigger over time, what about the folder found in AppData, "temp" also a other folder found in windows, again called "temp" there all folders that get bigger over time and still "Fan boy" Microsoft have not fixed it, the "temp" folders are so easy to fix I can't believe they have not done it yet, just make a command to delete all the files out of the two "temp" folders, at power down, problem fixed, but we really would need to start again to fix "WinSxS" if only windows could know when a program has been Uninstalled! this is why we need a cleaning tool, to delete all the files out of a other hidden folder found in windows, called "SoftwareDistribution" then delete "Download" which has all the update files you have used to update windows, so now there useless, because there just old setup files, but Microsoft leave them there for you to get errors when the download gos wrong, then it thinks you have the update when the file is corrupted, but it stall trys to install the update when the update is corrupt, so now the user is left with a computer which wont update, but if that user was a geek who knew how to do what Microsoft should of done, he could delete the folder "download" and then download the file again to see it installs, and he/her has more free space, this is why we need tools to delete junk out of windows, do i need to go on ? 
    www.SignedAdam.webs.com
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:56 AM
  • run : sfc /scannow on command prompt wait several minutes and reboot your PC it 100% works for me..
    • Proposed as answer by Justyn Taucher Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:55 AM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:27 AM
  • And now that there Megaupload, where I can download?
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 5:31 PM
  • Hey ICA Blake,

Try running a scan using the SFC command to get the Control Panel and Store metro style applications back on your Start screen. You can do this by:

• Open the Start Screen
    • Type CMD on your keyboard (if you are using a touch screen: swipe your finger from the right edge of the screen to the center of the screen, select Search, click the search box, and type CMD)
    • Right click CMD in the search results (if you are using a touch screen: touch and hold the CMD search result and then drag your finger down until the tile is outlined by a dark green box)
    • Click Advanced in the App menu
    • Click Run as administrator
    • Click Yes on the User Account Control window
    • Enter the command: SFC /SCANNOW

Then wait for the scan to complete. Once the scan has complete, open your Start screen to see if the Control Panel and Store metro style application tiles have returned.

Steven
    Monday, February 6, 2012 9:13 PM
  • Hey ICA Blake,

Try running a scan using the SFC command to get the Control Panel and Store metro style applications back on your Start screen. You can do this by:

• Open the Start Screen
    • Type CMD on your keyboard (if you are using a touch screen: swipe your finger from the right edge of the screen to the center of the screen, select Search, click the search box, and type CMD)
    • Right click CMD in the search results (if you are using a touch screen: touch and hold the CMD search result and then drag your finger down until the tile is outlined by a dark green box)
    • Click Advanced in the App menu
    • Click Run as administrator
    • Click Yes on the User Account Control window
    • Enter the command: SFC /SCANNOW

Then wait for the scan to complete. Once the scan has complete, open your Start screen to see if the Control Panel and Store metro style application tiles have returned.

Steven
    Seems this is only a temp solution... THe moment you log off & log back in, u are right back to step 1 (ie those tiles are gone again!) Happens on all 3 profiles I have. I created a new profile & followed both ur suggestion & SignedAdam's, same problem. After I log off, i have to do either of those 2 things to get those tiles back everytime. 
    Monday, February 20, 2012 5:08 PM
  • Hey Lui232323,

It's possible that one of your startup programs is removing the Control Panel and Store Metro style applications. Try restarting into a clean boot, perform the steps to restore the Control Panel and Store Metro style applications, and then restart your computer again.

To restart into a clean boot:

• Open the Start screen
    • Type msconfig (if you are using a touch screen: swipe your finger from the right edge of the screen to the center of the screen, select Search, click the search box, and type msconfig)
    • Click msconfig
    • Click the Services tab
    • Check the Hide all Microsoft services box
    • Click Disable all
    • Click Startup
    • Click Disable all
    • Click OK
    • Click Restart

Once your computer has restarted, perform the steps to restore the Control Panel and Store Metro style applications. Then log off and log back into the account to test if the same problem occurs.

If restarting into a clean boot prevents the problem from happening, then one of the services or startup programs that were disabled in the steps above may be removing the Control Panel and Store Metro style applications. Try enabling them one at a time in the msconfig window with a restart and test in between to find which is connected to this problem.

If you would like to return to a normal startup after restarting into a clean boot, please take a look at the steps below: (note: This will enable all startup services and programs, so if one of them was related to the problem it will be enabled again unless you have taken steps to resolve the problem (updated the program, removing the program, etc.).)

• Open the Start screen
    • Type msconfig (if you are using a touch screen: swipe your finger from the right edge of the screen to the center of the screen, select Search, click the search box, and type msconfig)
    • Click msconfig
    • Click Normal startup
    • Click OK
    • Click Restart

Hope that helps.

Steven

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 12:25 AM