none
DOCX - Are all header/footer objects rendered below (z-order) all main story objects? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all;

I have a docx file where the header has text and in the main story I have an image that is positioned over that text and has <wp:anchor behindDoc=1> in its properties. I can't find anything that speaks to this specifically in the DOCX file.

Is the rendering z-order everything in the header & footer, then everything in the main story? And so z-order matters within each, but not between the groups.

And anything special for other stories such as footnotes?

??? - thanks - dave

What we did for the last 6 months - Made the world's coolest reporting & docgen system even more amazing

• Edited by DavidThi808 Thursday, December 28, 2017 3:33 PM
    Thursday, December 28, 2017 3:23 PM

Answers

• After further testing, the behavior is that an art object will respect the behindDoc attribute by hiding or showing text in it's own part (main document (body), header, footer, etc...). However, if it overlaps into another part, a main document (body) object will hide text in other parts but other parts will not hide text in the main document part. IOW, main document part has higher z-order than other parts.

This is not prescribed by the standard. behindDoc description refers only to "document text" and therefore implies body text. z-order between parts is not described by the standard.

Tom

• Marked as answer by DavidThi808 Thursday, December 28, 2017 11:20 PM
    Thursday, December 28, 2017 10:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Dave, 

Happy holidays, and good to hear from you. I've alerted the Open Specifications team and either I or one of the team will pick this up and begin working with you shortly.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Sr Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Thursday, December 28, 2017 6:29 PM
  • Dave, I'll take this one. Do you happen to have the document in question? I can create one but I'd like to make sure we're looking at the same properties and such. 

Thanks,

Tom

Thursday, December 28, 2017 7:17 PM
  • Happy Holidays to you too. Take a look at this - https://www.dropbox.com/s/4plijvkbtsr950a/Images%20Importing%20Links%20Functions%20-%20Template.docx?dl=0

The image at the top is in the main story and is set to be behind text. But it's over text in the header.

thanks - dave

What we did for the last 6 months - Made the world's coolest reporting & docgen system even more amazing

Thursday, December 28, 2017 8:19 PM
  • Thanks Dave, I actually did create a document but this will be useful if I find any discrepancies.

And my initial take on this is that behindDoc is referring to the body text (i.e. main document part only). This makes sense and the language leans that way in the standard. I'll just do some checking before I finalize that opinion. 

Tom

Thursday, December 28, 2017 8:40 PM
  • After further testing, the behavior is that an art object will respect the behindDoc attribute by hiding or showing text in it's own part (main document (body), header, footer, etc...). However, if it overlaps into another part, a main document (body) object will hide text in other parts but other parts will not hide text in the main document part. IOW, main document part has higher z-order than other parts.

This is not prescribed by the standard. behindDoc description refers only to "document text" and therefore implies body text. z-order between parts is not described by the standard.

Tom

• Marked as answer by DavidThi808 Thursday, December 28, 2017 11:20 PM
    Thursday, December 28, 2017 10:26 PM
  • Hi;

Can you guys specify the z-order of the various parts? That would be useful.

For this question however, your validating the z-order between the main document and the header is all we need at present.

thanks - dave

Thursday, December 28, 2017 11:20 PM
  • So actually, the behavior I described was specifically related to the way behindDoc works with relation to the two parts. By that, I mean art objects like pictures and their z relationship with text. I said "z-order between parts" really only in reference to that scenario. The behavior of Word for parts in general is likely not going to be a z-order relationship at all and dependent on what objects you're talking about. But the behavior described above would apply to footers as well.
    Friday, December 29, 2017 3:45 AM