Understanding WinRT and .NET

Question

• I understand that Windows 8 WinRT and new XAML are native Windows APIs. My understanding is also that all the languages, which are accessing these APIs are compiled directly into native code (IL is not used).

Do I understand it correctly that this would mean that writing a C# app for WinRT does not require .NET runtime? How will external referenced .NET assemblies be loaded in this case? 

• Moved by BillFillMicrosoft employee Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:42 PM dev question (From:Windows Developer Preview: General OS questions )
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:32 PM

Answers

• .net applications still require the CLR (.Net runtime).  Writing a C# metro style app will require the .Net runtime.  For more information on using .Net from metro style applications, you should check out the TOOL531T talk "Using the Windows Runtime from C# and Visual Basic" - it will go into much detail about this.

Larry Osterman (MSFT)

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:53 PM

All replies

• I understand that Windows 8 WinRT and new XAML are native Windows APIs. My understanding is also that all the languages, which are accessing these APIs are compiled directly into native code (IL is not used).

Do I understand it correctly that this would mean that writing a C# app for WinRT does not require .NET runtime? How will external referenced .NET assemblies be loaded in this case? 

Also, will you be able to access SQL Server with C#/WinRT?
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:49 PM
  • .net applications still require the CLR (.Net runtime).  Writing a C# metro style app will require the .Net runtime.  For more information on using .Net from metro style applications, you should check out the TOOL531T talk "Using the Windows Runtime from C# and Visual Basic" - it will go into much detail about this.

Larry Osterman (MSFT)

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:53 PM
  • I asked a related quesion on Stackoverflow, see http://stackoverflow.com/q/7416826/57159
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:56 PM