Implementing RSS feed in a live tile. RRS feed

• Question

• I am developing a windows store 8 app which reads RSS Feeds and display it.

I want to activate the Live tile (TileWideText04) feature which displays the latest live feed continuously(and not once).

Please tell the steps and not give the link to the App Tiles and badges sample.

Thank You!

Wednesday, January 1, 2014 7:09 AM

Answers

• if you have a server componnent you can build there something that sends push notifications or offers an xml that contains the tile payload (just a normal live tile xml)

if you dont have a server component you are stuck to background tasks. then you can try this sample

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Tile-updates-from-2f6a854c

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

• Marked as answer by YashVj Thursday, January 2, 2014 7:33 PM
    Wednesday, January 1, 2014 9:05 PM

All replies

• What do you need help with?

How to follow a RSS feed? How to create a live tile?

Have you looked at the blog reader tutorial? What do you need that isn't covered in the App Tiles sample?

There are also several samples in the code gallery about RSS.

--Rob

Wednesday, January 1, 2014 7:22 PM
  • Hello Rob!

I need the Code (samples) for displaying the Rss feed i am reading in my app to appear in the Live tile.

My case-

My app is like a Score reader which gives the scores of the latest matches by reading RSS feeds from a website.

Now, I want to implement the Live Tiles, which will display atleast 1 of these scores even when the app is not running.

Just like the Finance app(which comes pre-installed).It shows the latest Share market scenarios(their current points etc.) continuously and the weather app which shows temp. of 5 cities continuously.

I want a similar functionality but with an RSS feed as the source.

I am currently new and cannot get the idea from the App tiles and Badges sample.

Thanks and Regards!

YashVj 

Wednesday, January 1, 2014 7:44 PM
  • if you have a server componnent you can build there something that sends push notifications or offers an xml that contains the tile payload (just a normal live tile xml)

if you dont have a server component you are stuck to background tasks. then you can try this sample

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Tile-updates-from-2f6a854c

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

• Marked as answer by YashVj Thursday, January 2, 2014 7:33 PM
    Wednesday, January 1, 2014 9:05 PM
  • Hi Dave!

The code works fine.

The only problem being that the app crashes when I change from landscape view to Snapped view saying that the exception is not handled. Th navigation in snapped view stops.

The code it refers to is this:

var backgroundAccessStatus = await BackgroundExecutionManager.RequestAccessAsync();

In the RegisterBackground method.

Please help!

Friday, January 3, 2014 7:35 AM