none
Installing Visual Studio in Windows XP Embedded RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,
    I am trying to install Visual Studio 2008 in my target machine with Windows XP Embedded. But it always fails at installing .NET3.5. It only managed to install .NET2.0 successfully. I tried installing it through  a script with the /qb option but still it installed only .NET2.0. What components could be missing from my slx file that lead to failure of .NET3.5 installation? I am using a Minlogon based build.  
    In the setup logs it says error 1603 so I tried to follow the solution given [URL="http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834484"]here[/URL] but there is no security tab when I open Properties for C drive. The solution may work but how to get that security tab ?? Help :( :(
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 7:03 AM

All replies

• .NET Requires Windows Logon Standard, and you need Windows installer in the image. Are you using Windows XP Embedded or WES2009> .NET 3.5 is available as a component, can you rebuild the image and add the .NET 3.5 component?

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 7:16 AM
  • Damn. The company documentation I was referring to, mentioned minlogon to be used instead of windows logon. What's the difference? Sorry I am kinda new to Embedded development :D. We are using Windows XP Embedded btw, not WES2009. Is WES2009 the latest? I'll recommend the company to upgrade to WES2009 if necessary but currently it's kinda urgent so I'll have to make do with windows XP embedded for now. 

I'll try using Windows logon again and see what happens. My colleague had actually tried that once but ran into the login screen. He tried puting the automatic login component as well but still no use. So we switched back to minlogon. If I use windows logon how to get rid of that login screen with the username and password? 

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 9:02 AM
  •  

1. WES2009 is the latest, and I would start from here. For XP Embedded it dependends on what version you re using XP RTM, SP2, FP2007, UR1, SP3. Each adds to the last.
    2.  If you ran a dependency check with a .NET component installed, it should ask for Windows Logon Standard - logon screen. You should use autologon, which means setup an account and user name and password. There are some registry keys to hide boot screen messages.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 4:52 PM
  • Hi,

I had similar problems with .NET Framework installation. In my case I could fix that by:

• Create a component using CD that includes all the components as described here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/embedded/archive/2007/03/23/deploying-net-framework-3-0-desktop-distribution-package-on-windows-xp-embedded-sp2-runtime.aspx 
    • Create a image in TD and included this component. Note: Do NOT include the .NET Framework component from the component database - this resulted in troubles (at least for me).
    • Build the image. Once the runtime is up, you can start install the redists for .NET 2.0, .NET 3.0....

Regarding automatic login:

• You can follow Sean Liming's tip to add the registry values vor AutoLogon as described in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231/en-us
    • Use the Sysinternal's Autologon utility: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963905"

Regards
    Willi K.

• Edited by Willi K Friday, January 13, 2012 12:21 PM
    Friday, January 13, 2012 12:18 PM
  • I tried using the windows logon based image. This time the Visual Studio 2008 installation proceeded beyond the .NET framework point successfully. It went till the .NET Compact framework and failed there.  I thought that is fine since the installation of the normal .NET framework 3.5 plus Visual Studio itself was all that was needed for the printer dll I created to work. The printer dll did work. But when I started making a cabinet file out of the image on my development pc , cabarc failed after some time with error 1620 :(

Could the failed installation of .NET Compact Framework be the culprit for this? Are there any files which are just remnants of the failed installation creating problems? If so, I would prefer to run the Visual Studio 2008 installation only uptil the point where it installs Visual Studio itself because I really don't need the rest. Can that be done? I don't want to cancel the installation midway since I guess that will also create some remaining junk files. 

P.S.: Error 1620 is failure to open file to be added to the cabinet file. 

Thursday, February 9, 2012 1:00 AM