Different app projects for small vs large screen sizes? RRS feed

• Question

• Given the 7" tablet I just saw released from Panasonic, that makes us able to develop WinStore apps for handhelds without having to deal with anything phone related (good for us because we have guys in cattle yards that could use handhelds but we don't want them to have phones).

So, will I want to create a separate app project for the smaller screen?  I know there's now "Bootstrap" in VS2013 for "responsive framework" but I'm not sold on it.  If a large screen hits my app I want to show them something very different (likely) than a small screen.  It's the same for our web apps but we keep the pages in the same project and just redirect small screens to the mobile pages).  It's like the difference between peiwei.com and m.peiwei.com.  It's not just about formatting what's on the screen differently, it's a different client.

So, will I want to:

A) Create a different WinStore app project for small screens vs large
    B) Have separate screens for small and large but contain them all in one app project
    C) Get on board with this Bootstrap technology as that’s really the better solution

Thanks for any feedback.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 10:46 PM

Answers

• you need to do this all in one app. you can check duing startup for the size ofcourse and load different pages

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

• Marked as answer by fiverc Friday, January 24, 2014 2:59 PM
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:24 PM
  • It depends on what you mean by "entirely different content". If it's not related at all then separate apps. If it's a different view of the same underlying data then I'd keep it all in one app. Since you say that if a large screen hits the app you want to show something different you'd need to keep both views in the same app. This allows both for docking the small device and for roaming data between the app on a small device and on a large one.

--Rob

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:26 PM

All replies

• I'd create one app and present different views for different screen sizes. See Quickstart: Designing apps for different window sizes .

--Rob

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:04 PM
  • But like I said, if a big screen I'd want to show entirely different content.  If a small screen, different.  Not just reformatting things.  Would I do this all in the same app is what I'm asking.
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:15 PM
  • you need to do this all in one app. you can check duing startup for the size ofcourse and load different pages

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:24 PM
  • It depends on what you mean by "entirely different content". If it's not related at all then separate apps. If it's a different view of the same underlying data then I'd keep it all in one app. Since you say that if a large screen hits the app you want to show something different you'd need to keep both views in the same app. This allows both for docking the small device and for roaming data between the app on a small device and on a large one.

--Rob

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:26 PM