registration RRS feed

• Question

• what do i do if my visual basic already expired its 30 days but i still wanna register it and i clicked on the register thing and it said that the url doesn't exist anymore. i rlly need visual basic cuz i use it for school and it would be a pleasure if someone could explain to me how the heck i fix this.... ;-;
    Saturday, January 10, 2015 10:47 PM

Answers

• what do i do if my visual basic already expired its 30 days but i still wanna register it and i clicked on the register thing and it said that the url doesn't exist anymore. i rlly need visual basic cuz i use it for school and it would be a pleasure if someone could explain to me how the heck i fix this.... ;-;

The current version of Visual Studio (2013) doesn't require registration in order to work. Are you using an obsolete version? I'm sure the 2012 version didn't require registration and I don't think the 2010 version did either. I think the 2008 version required registration but the registration site is no longer available. 

If your school requires the 2008 version (in which case, shame on them), I have heard (but can't conform) that you may be able to install it by burning the ISO image to a DVD and installing from there. Try this link filenetworks.blogspot.com/2007/11/microsoft-visual-studio-2008-express.html

• Proposed as answer by Frank L. Smith Saturday, January 10, 2015 11:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by Carl Cai Tuesday, January 20, 2015 3:00 AM
    Saturday, January 10, 2015 11:35 PM

All replies

The current version of Visual Studio (2013) doesn't require registration in order to work. Are you using an obsolete version? I'm sure the 2012 version didn't require registration and I don't think the 2010 version did either. I think the 2008 version required registration but the registration site is no longer available. 

If your school requires the 2008 version (in which case, shame on them), I have heard (but can't conform) that you may be able to install it by burning the ISO image to a DVD and installing from there. Try this link filenetworks.blogspot.com/2007/11/microsoft-visual-studio-2008-express.html

• Proposed as answer by Frank L. Smith Saturday, January 10, 2015 11:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by Carl Cai Tuesday, January 20, 2015 3:00 AM
    Saturday, January 10, 2015 11:35 PM
  • The Visual Studio 2010 and 2012 Express editions DO require registration.

Our school has no choice but to use the 2012 edition next semester since textbooks for more current software are not yet available.  Microsoft is coming out too quickly with new editions.  They have to slow down and give everyone a chance to catch up.

Solitaire

Sunday, January 11, 2015 12:10 AM
  • Reviewing my e-mails, I see that I did register my copy of Visual Studio Express 2010 (not sure if that was required or not). I never registered my copy of Visual Studio Express 2012, and I continued using it until the 2013 version came out (which I have not registered). In any case, I haven't heard of any problems installing the 2010 or later versions.

I agree that frequent updates to the development environment present a problem to educators who need to update their coursework materials to match each new version. However, I don't think it is unreasonable for students to expect to be taught using a version that less than 7 years old.

Sunday, January 11, 2015 12:32 AM