Adding an SP 2010 server to an existing farm. "Failed to connect to the configuration database." during config wizard. RRS feed

• Question

• I have an existing sp 2010 enterprise server hosting websites and central administration.  I have a seperate sql 2008 r2 server holding the databases.  My goal is to setup another sp 2010 enterprise server to provide redundancy for the websites and central admin.  I believe I am able to accomplish this by adding another web front end to the farm.  On the second server, I install sp 2010, run the config wizard and connect to the config database located on the sql server, however, I am interrupted at step 3 when I am notified of the following:

Failed to connect to the configuration database.
    An exception of type System.InvalidOperationException was thrown.  Additional exception information: There was an error encrypting or decrypting credentials. Either a credential update is currently being performed, or you must update the farm account credentials on this server before you can perform this task.
    System.InvalidOperationException: There was an error encrypting or decrypting credentials. Either a credential update is currently being performed, or you must update the farm account credentials on this server before you can perform this task.
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPEncryptedString.CheckCredentialLock()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPManagedAccount.Deploy(SPApplicationPool applicationPool)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWebServiceInstance.Provision()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFarm.Join()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ConfigurationDatabaseTask.CreateOrConnectConfigDb()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ConfigurationDatabaseTask.Run()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskThread.ExecuteTask()

This is from the log file.  Not sure why I would need to update the farm credentials.  The other server seems fine and all the app pools are successfully running under the service account I created for them.  IIS 7 on the new server only has the default website because the config wizard hasn't gone through the process of creating central admin.  I'm clearly missing a step or several steps. 

Monday, October 25, 2010 8:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• Are you logged in as the same setup user that was logged in when creating the farm initially?
    Rob Wilson - MCT. MCTS, MCITP, MCPD SharePoint. http://sharepointblog.kellerschroeder.com http://www.therobman.com/blog
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 4:16 AM
  • Actually no.  Somebody else created the farm initially.  Is there a way to give my login the permission needed to add a server?
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 1:47 PM
  • Hello,

Please verify the minimum level of permissions required to install and configure on the new server based on Administrative and service accounts required for initial deployment (SharePoint Server 2010). You must be a member of the farm administrators SharePoint group and the administrators group on the local server to add a server to the existing farm.

Additionally, please see if this helps.

http://dennyglee.com/2010/04/08/update-sharepoint-2010-farm-credentials-tips/

Thanks & Regards.

Lily Wu
    • Marked as answer by spex5 Tuesday, November 2, 2010 4:58 AM
    Monday, November 1, 2010 8:10 AM
  • Lily.  Your first link led me to the right answer.  My admin account was a local admin and farm admin.  However, I needed dbcreator on the SQL server.  After I added that role, I re-ran the wizard and it went through successfully.  Thanks a lot!
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 5:01 AM