none
Creating a DB on exchange DAG RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There  i am having weird problem on my exchange 2013 servers. I am trying to create a Database on the DAG. it pops up with error and creates the DB  i get following error.
    Couldn't connect to the cluster service on server 'JHBPSREX03.example.com. Error: An Active Manager 
    operation failed. Error: An error occurred while attempting a cluster operation. Error: Cluster API 
    IsInstalled(JHBPSREX03.example.com) failed with 0x35. Error: The network path was not found"' failed.

the exchange is in cluster

currently we have 16 DBs on the exchange environment. each and every server are identical in hardware and software.

i need to sort this out like yesterday.

any help would be appreciated.

• Edited by wizard_cloud Wednesday, October 22, 2014 11:54 AM
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 11:53 AM

All replies

• Can you double check to make sure the cluster service is running on the node you are trying to create the DB on?  Also, check to see if Windows Firewall is enabled, if so disable it and try again.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/7dbec4f7-812d-42b6-bee8-01b99c167a18/error-when-creating-a-new-database-on-exchange-2013-mailbox-server?forum=exchangesvradmin

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 1:29 PM
  • Hi Hinte 

Thanks for reply. before i could post this i did google for some help and found above article. i did turned off firewall as well as Trend office scan as well. still getting same error. cluster services are running fine. even i ran the shell command to see the status of cluster. Get-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup DAG1 -Status | FL no errors in results.

any other suggestions ?

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 1:53 PM
  • Can you create the DB on a different server? Does this fail on all servers?
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 3:55 PM
  • Hi,

Run the following command to make sure all the Mailbox servers or members of DAG are in displayed in StartedMailboxServers field.

Get-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup dag | fl name,*server*

If any of them is not visible, run the following command using the hostname specified in StoppedMailboxServers field

For example MBX2 is not visible in StartedMailboxServers field and visible as StoppedMailboxServers

Start-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup dag -MailboxServer MBX2

Thursday, October 23, 2014 7:54 AM
  • i can not create on single server, even using default path C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Mailbox\Journal\Journal.edb  i get following error.

Couldn't connect to the cluster service on server 'JHBPSREX02.example.com'. Error: An Active Manager operation failed. Error: An error occurred while attempting a cluster operation. Error: Cluster API '"IsInstalled(JHBPSREX02.example.com failed with 0x35. Error: The network path was not found"' failed.

any other suggestions.

Thursday, October 23, 2014 9:28 AM
  • Hi,

Please execute the below mentioned command on the problematic node .

test-replicationhealth -identity "problematic node"

If possible please share me the the output and also please check did you have received any errors.

Regards

S.Nithyanandham

Thanks & Regards S.Nithyanandham

Thursday, October 23, 2014 9:35 AM
  • Hi Satnam  

thanks for your reply

here are the results once i ran the    Get-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup dag | fl name,*server*

as per my understand following results shows all good.

Name                        : DAG
    Servers                     : {JHBPSREX03, JHBPSREX01, JHBPSREX04, JHBPSREX02}
    WitnessServer               : server01.example.com
    AlternateWitnessServer      : server02.example.com
    StoppedMailboxServers       : {}
    StartedMailboxServers       : {}
    OperationalServers          :
    ServersInMaintenance        :
    ServersInDeferredRecovery   :
    AutoDagTotalNumberOfServers : 0
    AutoDagAllServersInstalled  : False
    OriginatingServer           : SRVSRDC01.example.com

Thursday, October 23, 2014 9:36 AM
  • do you think i should restart all the servers to see if it going to work? i can ping my dag on the network. i am clue less. i have been working on the issue from the past 7 days to figure out. any one any other suggestion would be appreciated.
    Thursday, October 23, 2014 9:40 AM
  • i tried creating DB using shell command and it is created but cant add the copies to the other servers

following command i have used to create the DB

New-MailboxDatabase -Name "JournalDB" -EdbFilePath C:\ExchangeDatabases\JournalDB1\JournalDB.edb

cmdlet New-MailboxDatabase at command pipeline position 1
    Supply values for the following parameters:
    Server: JHBPSREX03.example.com

Name                           Server          Recovery        ReplicationType
    ----                           ------          --------        ---------------
    JournalDB                      JHBPSREX03      False           None
    WARNING: Please restart the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service on server JHBPSREX03 after adding new mailbox
    databases.

i ran following to add the copies to other server.
    [PS] C:\Windows\system32>Add-MailboxDatabaseCopy -Identity JournalDB -MailboxServer JHBPSREX02 -ActivationPreference 2
    The network path was not found.
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Add-MailboxDatabaseCopy], IOException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : [Server=JHBPSREX03,RequestId=0517231a-f27d-484f-8bfa-db0c7be6a7da,TimeStamp=2014-10-23 0
       9:47:59 AM] DDF55C00,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemConfigurationTasks.AddMailboxDatabaseCopy
        + PSComputerName        : jhbpsrex03.example.com

Thursday, October 23, 2014 9:54 AM
  • Taking a shot in the dark here, but can you verify that the remote registry service is enabled?

http://mikepfeiffer.net/2010/05/network-path-not-found-error-in-exchange-2010-management-console/

• Proposed as answer by Hinte Thursday, October 23, 2014 3:07 PM
    Thursday, October 23, 2014 1:09 PM
  • YOU ARE A LIFE SAVER!!!!!! IT WORKED YAYYYYYY.

i just started remote registry services on all the exchange servers. :) now i can add the DBs on the servers as well as DAG.

Thanks for your help.

Thursday, October 23, 2014 2:41 PM
  • No problem.  Glad we were able to figure it out :)
    Thursday, October 23, 2014 3:07 PM