none
Forms: Sending to an e-mail address RRS feed

• Question

• I am following Fred Gerantabee's training video on sending data on forms to an e-mail address. He starts by showing a table and refers to "a basic ASP.NET label control" above the table.

This feature does not seem to be loaded in my ASP toolbox. I have downloaded SP1 & 2.

Please can you tell me where this tool resides?

Thanks

Rodger

Thursday, August 5, 2010 1:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• In the Toolbox Panel

ASP.NET Controls
     Standard
       ImageButton
       ImageMap
       Label
       LinkButton
       ListBox

Does this help?

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 1:39 PM
  • In the Toolbox Panel

ASP.NET Controls
     Standard
       ImageButton
       ImageMap
       Label
       LinkButton
       ListBox

Does this help?

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp

Yes, thanks. When I tried that yesterday I could only enter some text without any attributes
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 1:46 PM
  • So, I have now created the form and included the Send button as he suggests.

He next refers to some C# code, but does not explain where it came from, it does not appear in my form, as yet?

I have created my form from my HTML template that includes my Menu and Header and then saved it as an ASPX page; is this likely to be the problem? If I create a new ASPX page the code is not there as a default

Thanks

Rodger

Thursday, August 5, 2010 2:49 PM
  • He probably shows you the C# code and this will need adding to the page as he describes.

Without seeing the video we can only guess.

Ian Haynes

EW V4 Add-Ins
    EW resources, hints and tips
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 3:04 PM
  • Once you have added the label to your page the label (or any other html/asp.net element) the properties available for that element will be shown in the Tag Properties panel, by default lower left corner of the interface. It shares the same space as the CSS Properties panel (different tabs of the same section.)

As for the C# code you will have to add that manually to the page for processing on a postback.

FYI, on this forum trimming is very important. Please do not quote the eintre message that someone replies with. Selective quoting without ever including the signature would be appreciated. This forum is already clunky enough to use without adding unnecessary scrolling to the mix.

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 3:15 PM
  • Thanks, but no, he just goes to the code once he has added the fields and then adds some hidden fields at the appropriate point. At no point does he explain how where the code came from. Does anyone know where the script might reside on the net?

This is the video http://expression.microsoft.com/en-gb/cc950443.aspx

He seems to give good detail on the stuff that seems fairly obvious, but makes huge assumptions elsewhere.

At the start he says that he is working within a form control. I have used the one from the HTML form controls as there was nothing specific in the ASP toolbox; is this likely to be the problem?

Thanks

Rodger

Thursday, August 5, 2010 3:17 PM
  • The reference to working with a form control is because asp.net pages are based around a 'form' control. I suggest you create a new page, as an aspx page, rather than rename your html page. That way you'll get the form control on the page to start with.

I'd suggest you download the Code/Source files to see what he's done more closely.

Ian Haynes

EW V4 Add-Ins
    EW resources, hints and tips
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 3:30 PM
  • I tried to do a screen dump, but being a video, nothing seems to happen.

There does not seem to be any sample code to accompany the video, As I mentioned, I did create a new ASPX page, but the code is not incuded there either.

Thanks

Rodger

Thursday, August 5, 2010 3:36 PM
  • There does not seem to be any sample code to accompany the video

Rodger

There is a link on the right of the Video page called 'Code/Source Files'

--
    Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP
    On Facebook | On Twitter | Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help

Get a Complete Website Analysis by Veign
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 3:40 PM
  • Look at the link you posted.  "Download  ... Code/Source Files".  It's right there.

Thursday, August 5, 2010 3:41 PM
  • Thanks for pointing out the obvious to me!

It is clearly time to break for the day and have a good look at everything again tomorrow.

Regards

Rodger

Thursday, August 5, 2010 3:51 PM