The transaction under which this method call was executing was asynchronously aborted RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have implemented a workflow service which has multiple TransactedReceiveScope activities in sequence. There are database activities after the receive and before the send. The workflow persists when it becomes idle waiting for call to next receive activity.

Now when an unhandled exception is thrown, I get the exception "The transaction under which this method call was executing was asynchronously aborted."

Does it mean that the transaction didnt roll backed.

I want functionality such that if a call to receive activity results in exception , the transaction should be rolled back, and user should be able to make the call again to the same workflow.

Thanks

Friday, June 18, 2010 10:08 AM

Answers

• Hi, Suchi

->" I get the exception "The transaction under which this method call was executing was asynchronously aborted.""
    Actually, it is a WCF exception message.
    ->"Does it mean that the transaction didnt roll backed."
    Please check the database to see if the data is rolled back.

You can also try TransactionScope:

new TransactionScope{
                            IsolationLevel=System.Transactions.IsolationLevel.Serializable,
                            AbortInstanceOnTransactionFailure=false,
                            Body=new Sequence{ 
                                Activities={
                                }
                            },
                        }

Regards

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Microsoft Online Community Support. My Blog:http://xhinker.com
    • Marked as answer by Sneha Gupta Monday, July 5, 2010 9:29 AM
    Monday, June 21, 2010 10:16 AM

All replies

• The transaction did rollback.  The message here is a little confusing but it did roll back.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/rjacobs
    Friday, June 18, 2010 12:57 PM
  • Hi Ron,

What did the message means actually. Or say what actually happends in case of exception.

Thanks

Suchi

Saturday, June 19, 2010 5:14 PM
  • Hi, Suchi

->" I get the exception "The transaction under which this method call was executing was asynchronously aborted.""
    Actually, it is a WCF exception message.
    ->"Does it mean that the transaction didnt roll backed."
    Please check the database to see if the data is rolled back.

You can also try TransactionScope:

new TransactionScope{
                            IsolationLevel=System.Transactions.IsolationLevel.Serializable,
                            AbortInstanceOnTransactionFailure=false,
                            Body=new Sequence{ 
                                Activities={
                                }
                            },
                        }

Regards

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Microsoft Online Community Support. My Blog:http://xhinker.com
    • Marked as answer by Sneha Gupta Monday, July 5, 2010 9:29 AM
    Monday, June 21, 2010 10:16 AM
  • Hi Ron,

I have a annoying situation on a client site installation related to AppFabric, WF and DTC.

Our product consists on 3 solutions (presentation, middle tier, and workflows), in this particular case, the presentation and middle tier run in a Win2k8R2 server and the workflow solution runs on another Win2k8R2 server with SQL Server for AppFrabric monitoring and workflow persistence. The workflows are create by calling an operation "CreateWorkflow". This operation is inside a TransactedReceiveScope activity. After setting up the DTC with both servers(allowing Network DTC acccess inbound and outbound), the application was working properly, and the clients could create workflows without problems.

In a few weeks, the client needed to move the presentation and middle tier to another location, and everything the middle tier call the workflow services, we received an exception: The transaction under which this method call was executing was asynchronously aborted

I checked the DTC and firewall configuration and everything looks just fine. The servers are in the same network and domain without any router between them.

Can you aim me on the right direction in order diagnostic the issue?

How can I find what is aborting the transaction?

Thank you very much in advance,

Darien

Friday, December 16, 2011 10:17 PM