none
eVC++ 4 installation problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have just downloaded EVC++4 from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1DACDB3D-50D1-41B2-A107-FA75AE960856&displaylang=en

After executing the downloaded file, a process that unzip some files starts. I start the installation by executing the setup file. An installtion wizard appears and after I click on next I immedietly get a setup message window that says " setup has encountered a problem and needs to close. Sorry for the inconvenince." I have repeated the download and installation several times all with the same result. Any hint to how to solve this problem is appreciated. Thanks

Esmat

Monday, February 13, 2012 3:25 PM

Answers

• At last I was able to install the eVC++4. This is what I did: I reformatted the new HDD, physically disconnected the old HDD and started the installation of the application. It went down very smoothly. Thanks for all the hints.

Esmat

Esmat

• Edited by EsmatB Tuesday, April 3, 2012 12:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by EsmatB Tuesday, April 3, 2012 12:24 AM
    Tuesday, April 3, 2012 12:22 AM

All replies

• Tell us about the system on which you're trying to install. The obvious things are the operating system and whether it's a 64-bit OS or a 32-bit OS...

Paul T.

Monday, February 13, 2012 11:30 PM
  • Paul, Thank you ver much for your feedback. I am installing the eVc++ on a brand new hard disk I had just install it on my computer few days ago. I have istalled a Windows XP professional on this HDD (which I believe is 32-bit OS); this all what the HDD have. My problem with installing the eVc++ is that I don't know if it is related to the HDD new setup  that eVc++ is looking for or something I am doing incoorectly to install this package. Thanks again.

Esmat

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:51 PM
  • You must be 100% sure that it's Windows XP 32-bit. It won't work on 64-bit. There are several other requirements (XP Service Pack 1 comes to mind). After you've verified that you have met all of the prerequisites identified in the eVC 4 documentation, let us know if it still crashes.

Paul T.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:06 PM
  • I have checked that the subdirectory to WINDOWS directory is system32. The XP that I have purchased is version 2002, and It comes with SP3. Please let me know if there is other info you want to know. Thanks.

Esmat

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 12:59 AM
  • Windows XP

If you have Windows XP, there are two methods to determine whether you are running a 32-bit or a 64-bit version. If one does not work, try the other.

Method 1: View System Properties in Control Panel
    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. Type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
    3. Click the General tab. The operating system is displayed as follows:
      • For a 64-bit version operating system: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version <var>< Year></var> appears under System.
      • For a 32-bit version operating system: Windows XP Professional Version <var><Year></var> appears under System.
      Note <var><Year></var> is a placeholder for a year.
    Method 2: View System Information window
    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. Type winmsd.exe, and then click OK.
    3. When System Summary is selected in the navigation pane, locate Processor under Item in the details pane. Note the value.
      • If the value that corresponds to Processor starts with x86, the computer is running a 32-bit version of Windows.
      • If the value that corresponds to Processor starts with ia64 or AMD64, the computer is running a 64-bit version of Windows.

If you cannot determine the operating system bit count with these methods, go to the "Next Steps" section.

-----

Once you've checked that, verify that you have gone through the list of prerequisities for eVC 4 and that you have them all.

Paul T.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 4:01 PM
  • I have tried both methods and both confirmed that the OS is a 32-bit version. As far as other requirements, I should not have any problem because I have downloaded the eVC4 on the other HDD (the one with the XP home edition) a year ago. I do appreciate your help.

Esmat

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:13 PM
  • Is there any chance that file or files from this "previous installation" are on your target hard disk, possibly causing problems for the new install?

Paul T.

Monday, February 20, 2012 4:59 PM
  • On one hand I have a strong feeling that you are right that there is some interaction between the 2 HDD's because now the eVc4 on the old disk (c:) is not functioning as to used to be (it stopped the debugging mode and give me an error message). On the other hand, the new HDD is a brand new drive I have got it about 2 weeks ago, format it and installed on it the windows xp professional. Thereafter I have downloaded the files of the eVc4 and installed on it the visual c++ 2010. That all it has. Please let me know what could be the suspecting files and I can look for it. Thanks for your help and patience.

Esmat

• Marked as answer by EsmatB Tuesday, April 3, 2012 12:19 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by EsmatB Tuesday, April 3, 2012 12:19 AM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:52 AM
  • At last I was able to install the eVC++4. This is what I did: I reformatted the new HDD, physically disconnected the old HDD and started the installation of the application. It went down very smoothly. Thanks for all the hints.

Esmat

Esmat

• Edited by EsmatB Tuesday, April 3, 2012 12:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by EsmatB Tuesday, April 3, 2012 12:24 AM
    Tuesday, April 3, 2012 12:22 AM