Workflow throwing an "error occurred" status without any direction on how to resolve RRS feed

• Question

• We are running on Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 provided by an offsite vendor (branded as TeamRoom).  I created a multi-step workflow via SharePoint Designer 2007 on a list to send email notifications at certain points in the life cycle to various stakeholders.  There are no initiation parameters or variables stored in the workflows.  Just simple field value conditions resulting in an email sent and a field updated to give an indication the workflow completed.

After including multiple people on the To: line of the email, I noticed the status of "Error Occurred" show up.  I separated these steps into stand alone workflows, and they work intermittently.  I have no access to server side logs as we don't own the servers hosting this application.  I have read through all available threads on the subject without success.  I created the workflows to be kicked off manually after terminating them if need be, but running them manually produces the same result of an "Error Occurred" status intermittently.

Where could I look in SharePoint Designer or in the stripped down SharePoint instance to trace where the workflow is failing and why?

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 10:02 PM

Answers

• I am still getting the recursive error, but also now getting a "WinWF Internal Error, terminating workflow" error on the other workflow.  I changed the logic and it appears to be working now.  I will let you know if there is another error, but I took out the step to have it run when changed and removed the criteria of looking at the field changed by the workflow.

Thanks for the help, Hemendra.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 4:03 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Add log history action and see the workflow history page to know about the error. This is link to troubleshoot all possible WF errors

http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/sharepoint-designer-help/troubleshoot-workflow-errors-HA010237912.aspx

It seems that some of the email address are wrong or block by exchange server. Just see the log and let us know

Hemendra: "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Please feel free to unmark answer if does not resolves your problem.

Thursday, June 27, 2013 5:52 AM
  • Hello Hemendra,

I was out of pocket for awhile and just now was able to see your reply.  Thanks for your prompt response and pardon my tardy one.

The link you provided was what started me on my journey to this original post as I can't see why there is an error occurring.  Can you help me know how to turn on log history action?

Also, the emails for the users are in sync against our company's exchange server so they are all valid email addresses.

Thanks!

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 4:48 PM
  • >Can you help me know how to turn on log history action

"Log to history list" is an action and you can add this action to each every steps with custom message so you can know where you WF is failing.

Steps are:

1. Add log to history action to WF then provide some message

2. Execute your WF and go to history list.To WF history hidden list open the belwo URL and change server and site name:

http://[servername]/[sitename]/lists/Workflow%20History

3. Now you should see you log in this list like:

http://thelazyadmin.blogspot.in/2011/06/sharepoint-2010-workflow-log-to-history.html

You can also view error log entry in 14 folder and here is one technet article for same error:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc298927%28v=office.14%29.aspx

Finally, make sure that you are not executing your WF with system account.

Now let us know your result

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Thursday, July 11, 2013 5:04 AM
  • Hi TBurkey,

Can you provide more details on the error. I mean click on the status "Error Occurred" it will redirect you to the workflow status page there you can see the actual error.. let me know what you are getting over ther?

Regards,

Navaneetha Krishnan D

Thursday, July 11, 2013 6:43 AM
  • Hello Navaneetha,

There isn't much there, which is the problem.  Here is all I get to see in the browser when I click on the status:

Workflow History
    The following events have occurred in this workflow.
    <iframe filterlink="https://teamroom.exchange.gmacfs.com/gtorc/_layouts/WrkStat.aspx?Filter=1&View=%7b75D20BE5%2dE306%2d4D16%2dA8F8%2dDCC349117617%7d" height="0" id="FilterIframe2" name="FilterIframe2" style="display:none;" title="Hidden frame to filter list" width="0"></iframe>
    Date Occurred
    Event Type
    Presence enabled for this column User ID
    Description
    Outcome
    7/10/2013 4:29 PM Error
    No presence information System Account
    An error has occured in HR Workflow.

Does that give you anything to go on?  The workflows are named "HR Workflow" and "Finance Workflow", respectively, and both are showing the same error (with the description reflecting the actual name of the workflow in question).

I have reviewed all the recipients in the workflow and confirmed all have valid email addresses presently.  Further, I have instances where each have a successful cycle in the workflow since launching the most recent versions, so it is an intermittent issue (I believe on the server side). 

Thursday, July 11, 2013 2:22 PM
  • Hello,

Please check the log folder to see error details:

"%programfiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\logs"

and you can also configure logging from belwo location if not configured already

Go to (Central Admin -> Monitoring -> Reporting -> Configure Diagnostic Logging) to check settings.

Friday, July 12, 2013 6:25 AM
  • I'll give that a shot, thanks.
    Friday, July 12, 2013 7:23 PM
  • Hello Hemendra,

I was able to get access to the server logs and the error is as follows:

07/18/2013 12:04:53.63 w3wp.exe (0x206C)                       0x249C  Windows SharePoint Services   Workflow Infrastructure                       72fv       Unexpected       AutoStart Workflow: Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: Recursive workflows are not permitted.     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWorkflowAutostartEventReceiver.StartWorkflows(SPItemEventProperties properties, Boolean bCreate, Boolean bChange, SPSite superUserSite, SPWeb superUserWeb, SPList list, SPListItem listItem, SPFile file, ArrayList associations)

I went and searched why it would be considered Recursive and I don't see it as being recursive.  Can you help me please figure it out?

The workflow is written as follows:

• Start manually, start automatically on creation, and start automatically on change

Step 1 - Cancel Out

• If [field 1] is not empty
    • Then stop workflow and log "[field 1] is not empty"

Step 2 - Send email, update field

• If [field 1] is empty, and [field 2] doesn't equal a certain value, and [field 3 ] equals 1 of 22 choices
    • Then send email to [set of users 1] and update [field 1] to equal value
    • Else if [field 1] is empty, and [field 2] doesn't equal a certain value, and [field 3 ] equals 2 of 22 choices
    • Then send email to [set of users 2] and update [field 1] to equal value
    • etc through the remainder of the 22 choices

I have this same set up in another workflow on the same list and it never errors out.

Friday, July 19, 2013 7:49 PM
  • I think this error is coming due to update a field in second workflow and it is leading to loop. Since you updating same field within a workflow that's why "and start automatically on change" events fires every time and WF goes to in loop. Just try to add one more condition in first step and check.

http://www.stum.de/2009/08/26/recursive-workflows-are-not-permitted/

Let us know your result

Monday, July 22, 2013 6:15 AM
  • I am still getting the recursive error, but also now getting a "WinWF Internal Error, terminating workflow" error on the other workflow.  I changed the logic and it appears to be working now.  I will let you know if there is another error, but I took out the step to have it run when changed and removed the criteria of looking at the field changed by the workflow.

Thanks for the help, Hemendra.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 4:03 PM