what to use as a firewall? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I'm in the process of setting up a web server with MS Web Server 2008 and wanted to know what I should be using as a firewall between my web server and the internet?
    I found this page:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa302432.aspx
    and it displays a diagram where there is a firewall between the browser and the web server and a firewall between the web server and the database server.
    Should this firewall be software based or hardware based? Which is the best to use? This is running at home with Comcast cable. If I were to purchase a better service with a different ISP would I need a hardware based firewall?

chuckdawit
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 1:32 AM

All replies

• Saturday, August 1, 2009 3:09 PM
  • hi,
    I just read through some of this document you sent me, but I'm a little confused.
    This doc doesn't state if the firewall is physical or software based. It shows diagrams of physical devices but I'm still not sure.
    Can you give me any advice on whether or not I need any type of firewall? I'm just trying to protect my web server and the content on it.
    THanks
    chuckdawit
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 4:48 PM
  • You can just use Windows Firewall and configure it accordingly. Otherwise, you can use third party firewalls if they prove to be more secure.

Regards,
    Jai
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 8:38 AM