locked
Xamarin studio hangs on Bundle Signing RRS feed

  • Question

  • User221941 posted

    I'm following the tutorial here: https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/ios/gettingstarted/installation/deviceprovisioning/. I have the necessary certificates and provisioning profiles downloaded and installed on my Mac. I am able to successfully deploy apps to my iPhone through Xcode. However, when I try to open "iOS Bundle Signing" in Build settings, Xamarin Studio on my Mac simply hangs. This is happening in both version 5.x and 6.x. What might be going wrong?

    Friday, May 6, 2016 4:19 AM

Answers

  • User221941 posted

    Answering here for the benefit of anyone who might encounter a similar issue:

    On doing a backtrace using LLDB, some of the stack frames revealed the following:

    frame #14: 0x16f95b28 Xamarin.MacDev.MobileProvision:GetCertificates (Xamarin.MacDev.PArray) + 0xd8 (0x16f95a50 0x16f95b96) [0x7974dc80 - XamarinStudio.exe]
    frame #15: 0x16f955e4 Xamarin.MacDev.MobileProvision:Load (Xamarin.MacDev.PDictionary) + 0x1ac (0x16f95438 0x16f958ed) [0x7974dc80 - XamarinStudio.exe]
    frame #16: 0x16f94820 Xamarin.MacDev.MobileProvision:LoadFromFile (string) + 0x58 (0x16f947c8 0x16f9484e) [0x7974dc80 - XamarinStudio.exe]
    frame #17: 0x16f941d4 Xamarin.MacDev.MobileProvisionIndex:CreateIndexRecord (string) + 0x2c (0x16f941a8 0x16f947c4) [0x7974dc80 - XamarinStudio.exe]
    frame #18: 0x16f93f34 Xamarin.MacDev.MobileProvisionIndex:CreateIndex () + 0x184 (0x16f93db0 0x16f94124) [0x7974dc80 - XamarinStudio.exe]
    frame #19: 0x16f93c88 Xamarin.MacDev.MobileProvisionIndex:OpenIndex () + 0x9a0 (0x16f932e8 0x16f93cc5) [0x7974dc80 - XamarinStudio.exe]
    

    It was apparent that reading the provisioning profiles is what caused the UI to get stuck. What helped was to delete all my 30+ provisioning profiles from ~/Library/MobileDevice/Provisioning Profiles and just fetch them one by one as I needed them using Xcode.

    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, May 19, 2016 6:54 PM

All replies

  • User37696 posted

    Hi Meher,

    There might be some information in the logs of Xamarin Studio. Try collecting those from the Help -> Open Log Directory. I am guessing the ide.*.log might be the most useful.

    I've also found a similar post here about keychain causing similar symptoms.

    Tuesday, May 10, 2016 7:40 PM
  • User221941 posted

    Unlocking the keychain did not help. Also, in that particular case it looks like they were using a remote build server whereas I am building on my laptop. The logs don't seem to explain anything either. This is what ide.log looks like:

    INFO [2016-05-10 14:22:31Z]: ANDROID: Got new device list from adb with 0 devices WARNING [2016-05-10 14:22:34Z]: Subversion addin could not load libsvn_client, so it will be disabled. Simulator configuration written to /var/folders/sp/dpxp0md55ydgwdsmhqnb4zc80000gn/T/tmp710fc27e.tmp INFO [2016-05-10 14:22:35Z]: Add-in loaded: MonoDevelop.HexEditor INFO [2016-05-10 14:22:36Z]: Add-in loaded: MonoDevelop.Debugger.Soft.AspNet INFO [2016-05-10 14:22:37Z]: Read license: Mac Community INFO [2016-05-10 14:22:37Z]: Read license: Mac Community INFO [2016-05-10 14:22:38Z]: Add-in loaded: MonoDevelop.ILAsmBinding

    Side note: Today I tried to replicate my setup on a Mac Mini. I am able to successfully deploy to my iPhone using the same certificate and provisioning profile from Xamarin Studio beta. In light of that, I uninstalled and reinstalled all Xamarin components on my MacBook but to no success. How can I debug this issue?

    Tuesday, May 10, 2016 9:27 PM
  • User221941 posted

    I've been blocked on this issue for several days now. Can I ask for a quicker turnaround please?

    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 11:27 PM
  • User37696 posted

    Hi Meher,

    Send an email to contact@xamarin.com with the IDE log file. Also, include the version information from Xamarin Studio -> About Xamarin Studio -> Show Details -> Copy Information.

    Also, check the Console.app on your Mac while this happens and capture any interesting output that might appear in there from Xcode/System/Xamarin Studio.

    Thursday, May 12, 2016 12:46 AM
  • User221941 posted

    Answering here for the benefit of anyone who might encounter a similar issue:

    On doing a backtrace using LLDB, some of the stack frames revealed the following:

    frame #14: 0x16f95b28 Xamarin.MacDev.MobileProvision:GetCertificates (Xamarin.MacDev.PArray) + 0xd8 (0x16f95a50 0x16f95b96) [0x7974dc80 - XamarinStudio.exe]
    frame #15: 0x16f955e4 Xamarin.MacDev.MobileProvision:Load (Xamarin.MacDev.PDictionary) + 0x1ac (0x16f95438 0x16f958ed) [0x7974dc80 - XamarinStudio.exe]
    frame #16: 0x16f94820 Xamarin.MacDev.MobileProvision:LoadFromFile (string) + 0x58 (0x16f947c8 0x16f9484e) [0x7974dc80 - XamarinStudio.exe]
    frame #17: 0x16f941d4 Xamarin.MacDev.MobileProvisionIndex:CreateIndexRecord (string) + 0x2c (0x16f941a8 0x16f947c4) [0x7974dc80 - XamarinStudio.exe]
    frame #18: 0x16f93f34 Xamarin.MacDev.MobileProvisionIndex:CreateIndex () + 0x184 (0x16f93db0 0x16f94124) [0x7974dc80 - XamarinStudio.exe]
    frame #19: 0x16f93c88 Xamarin.MacDev.MobileProvisionIndex:OpenIndex () + 0x9a0 (0x16f932e8 0x16f93cc5) [0x7974dc80 - XamarinStudio.exe]
    

    It was apparent that reading the provisioning profiles is what caused the UI to get stuck. What helped was to delete all my 30+ provisioning profiles from ~/Library/MobileDevice/Provisioning Profiles and just fetch them one by one as I needed them using Xcode.

    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, May 19, 2016 6:54 PM
  • User250771 posted

    Thank you @Meher.Kasam for sharing your first solution - worked for me! I was really stuck on this...

    Thursday, November 3, 2016 5:02 PM
  • User272622 posted

    Thank you @Meher Kasam. Thanks for sharing this. It really saved my day!

    Monday, May 22, 2017 6:10 AM