none
Custom Outlook form for votes RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking into the feasibility of creating an Outlook "approval" form which would do two things:

1. On the "compose" tab, let the user select 3 people from the Global Address Book to receive the form (e.g. labeled "manager", "project manager", "travel coordinator").

2. On the "read" tab, let the user click "approve" or "decline" with a text explanation.

Is it possible to do this? I'm thinking I will need to hide the "To" field and add to it when the user clicks a "send" button. I'm also thinking I would need to use the native voting buttons of Outlook to tabulate the responses in a "tracking" tab (which would include the text explanations).

Am I on the right track? Any help would be appreciated. (Unfortunately, I've been asked to look into Outlook first before Sharepoint or InfoPath.)

On a side note, I've learned that when using Voting Buttons and tabulating the responses in the "Sent" item, you cannot simply forward the sent item with the tabulated results but instead must "forward as attachment" for the recipient to see the tabulated results. Is there another way to easily forward the results?

Friday, March 21, 2014 8:01 PM

Answers

• Hello,

You can use Outlook Form Regions for customizing read and compose inspectors. Also you can add your controls to the Ribbon UI. The Customizing a Ribbon for Outlook article describes this process in depth.

Friday, March 21, 2014 8:18 PM
  • Yes, you are correct. Form regions are designed to be driven within an add-in. You can read more in the Introducing Outlook 2007 Form Regions article. There is no need to install Visual Studio to end users, only on the development machine VS is required. Actually, you can develop even without VS installed, you just need to have all the required assemblies installed with the compiler. However, it is very convenient to have it installed on the machine.

If you still want to use VBScript, you can customize existing form, then save it and publish to users.

Monday, March 24, 2014 1:55 PM

All replies

• Hello,

You can use Outlook Form Regions for customizing read and compose inspectors. Also you can add your controls to the Ribbon UI. The Customizing a Ribbon for Outlook article describes this process in depth.

Friday, March 21, 2014 8:18 PM
  • Thanks. Am I correct that using Regions to do what I want will require Visual Studio? If so, will users of the form be required to install additional software (e.g. the VS run-time?). Is there a way to do this using just VB Script?

Thanks for your response in helping me understand the "simplest" solution possible.

Monday, March 24, 2014 1:42 PM
  • Yes, you are correct. Form regions are designed to be driven within an add-in. You can read more in the Introducing Outlook 2007 Form Regions article. There is no need to install Visual Studio to end users, only on the development machine VS is required. Actually, you can develop even without VS installed, you just need to have all the required assemblies installed with the compiler. However, it is very convenient to have it installed on the machine.

If you still want to use VBScript, you can customize existing form, then save it and publish to users.

Monday, March 24, 2014 1:55 PM