How to send a notification with a custom audio ? RRS feed

• Question

• Just a the title ,how send a notification with a custom audio ?

I know the  system provides serval audio options , but I need a custom audio.

--- thanks

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 7:42 AM

Answers

• I assume you mean toast notifications. In that case, custom audio for toast notifications is not supported in Windows 8--they are limited to those described in the toast audio catalog.

What's really happening here is that these audio options simply map to system sounds configured in the desktop control panel > sound > change system sounds. If the user has sounds turned off, for example (as I often do), then you won't hear any sounds with toasts at all. If they also configure various sounds differently, then the mapping from the toast audio option to the actual sound can vary. (Unfortunately, we don't at present have documentation on the exact mappings here.)

So depending on your scenario and deployment, it may be possible to customize the sound through Control Panel. But so far as including a specific sound in the toast itself, that again isn't supported. (The reason for this is most likely that it would greatly increase the size of notification payloads coming from a web service; by limiting the choices to sounds that are already on the system, we avoid all that excess network traffic.)

.Kraig

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 5:51 PM
  • Correct. Not a supported feature in Win8.
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:03 PM

All replies

• I don't understand the question.  What are you trying to accomplish?

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 12:47 PM
  • I assume you mean toast notifications. In that case, custom audio for toast notifications is not supported in Windows 8--they are limited to those described in the toast audio catalog.

What's really happening here is that these audio options simply map to system sounds configured in the desktop control panel > sound > change system sounds. If the user has sounds turned off, for example (as I often do), then you won't hear any sounds with toasts at all. If they also configure various sounds differently, then the mapping from the toast audio option to the actual sound can vary. (Unfortunately, we don't at present have documentation on the exact mappings here.)

So depending on your scenario and deployment, it may be possible to customize the sound through Control Panel. But so far as including a specific sound in the toast itself, that again isn't supported. (The reason for this is most likely that it would greatly increase the size of notification payloads coming from a web service; by limiting the choices to sounds that are already on the system, we avoid all that excess network traffic.)

.Kraig

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 5:51 PM
  • Yeah , I mean the toast notification. I need a notification with custom audio. Now it seems to be impossible.

thank you , Kraig

Thursday, August 23, 2012 5:17 AM

.Kraig

Yeah , I mean the toast notification. I need a notification with custom audio. Now it seems to be impossible.

thank you , Kraig

Thursday, August 23, 2012 5:17 AM
  • Correct. Not a supported feature in Win8.
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:03 PM