SSRS Report Printing Blank Pages when Exported to PDF RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

I have a report that has all of the information in the header.

To show the information in the header I have the tablix in the body but I hide each textbox. I then use the ReportItem collection to display the current data in the header. I also modify the column widths so they do not go past the end of the page.

I do this because I don't want the data to be displayed as a table but in more of a free form format.

Everything looks good when I run the report but when I export it to a pdf file I end up with blank pages. I've seen posts where this was a problem in 2005 but we are running SSRS 2012.

Thanks for the help!

Gary 

Monday, August 8, 2016 8:51 PM

Answers

• Hi GaryMha,

Based on your scenario, did you check the body size and page size in properties window?

We must make sure that:
    Body Width <= Page Width – (Left Margin + Right Margin)    
    Otherwise, if the body width is too large and there exists too much white space between the tablix and right margin, the report will end up with blank pages in PDF export.

Hope this helpful to you. If you still have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
    Yuliana Gu

• Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Thursday, August 18, 2016 11:06 AM
    Thursday, August 11, 2016 8:19 AM

All replies

• Hi GaryMha,

According to your description, the report always ends up with extra blank pages in PDF export, right?

This is usually caused by the Body of your report being too wide for your page.  Make sure that the Width of the Body is less than the physical page size, less the margins. So, please check the size setting of your report to make sure that:

For more information, please refer to these two articles below:
    Blank page issue
    Pagination in Reporting Services

Besides, please check whether you have added a page break after the tablix. If you did, and if there is nothing else to show after the tablix, then it will display blank on the next page.

Another possible reason that may bring blank page is that there exists large white space between tablix and page footer. There is a Report Property ConsumeContainerWhitespace which controls whether white space in containers should be consumed when contents grow instead of preserving the minimum white space between the contents and the container. So, you can set value of ConsumeContainerWhightspace to True.

Reference:
    Unable to remove the blank page at the end of your SSRS report
    Rendering Reporting Services as PDF

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
    Yuliana Gu

• Proposed as answer by Yuliana Gu Tuesday, August 16, 2016 2:04 AM
    Tuesday, August 9, 2016 5:39 AM
  • Hi Yuliana,

Thank you for the reply.

The body of the report is a tablix with 27 columns with no headers. All of the textboxes are hidden with the column widths being compressed to fit in less than the headers, which all print out on a single page.

The ConsumeContainerWhitespace is true and the page breaks before and after the tablix are both false.

I actually get 2 pages with no data on them.

Gary

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 3:19 PM
  • Hi GaryMha,

Based on your scenario, did you check the body size and page size in properties window?

We must make sure that:
    Otherwise, if the body width is too large and there exists too much white space between the tablix and right margin, the report will end up with blank pages in PDF export.

Hope this helpful to you. If you still have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
    Yuliana Gu

• Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Thursday, August 18, 2016 11:06 AM
    Thursday, August 11, 2016 8:19 AM
  • Hi Yuliana, I ran into the extra blank page issue from my end as well. I am able to resolve it using your proposed solution. Thank You!
    • Proposed as answer by Dhana7 Sunday, July 19, 2020 11:13 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Dhana7 Sunday, July 19, 2020 11:13 AM
    Thursday, March 21, 2019 8:24 PM