SQL Server Express 2005 warning message in event log from SQL Browser service RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have been trying to drill down to the cause for this event log message:
    "The configuration of the AdminConnection\TCP protocol in the SQL instance
    SQLEXPRESS is not valid."
    It is reported from the SQLBrowser service as a warning when the service
    starts. I have tried starting SQLBrowser.exe with -c flag, but the output reveals no
    errors. I have seen this error on three computers. Two are running SQL 2000, 2005
    and Express. One was only running Express, but still this message.
    I then looked into the log for the SQL Express server itself. It shows this
    message on startup:
    "Dedicated administrator connection support was not started because it is
    not available on this edition of SQL Server. This is an informational message
    only. No user action is required."
    Now, it appears to me that these two messages may relate to the same
    "error" (or rather behaviour by design). So, can anyone confirm that the
    warning in the event log from the SQL Browser service occurs becuase of that
    the SQL Express edition doesn't allow any "AdminConnection", but the SQL
    Browser service isn't aware of that SQL Express edition shouldn't support that, and
    reports it as a warning (implying that we can't do much about this warning)?

Thanks for any input on this issue!

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 5:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Henrik,

Since you indicated that you don't need remote connections, you can probably just shut down SQL Browswer. The point of SQL Browser is to enumerate to servers on your computer and publish them so they can be seen over the network. There might be an issue if the other copies of SQL Server need to be browsable from the network.

Would this solution work for you?

Mike

Friday, May 4, 2007 2:17 PM

All replies

• This error has nothing to do with the Dedicated Administrator Connection.

There is a bunch of traffic about this error that seem to indicate it is related to having your TCP protocol setup incorrectly. A couple questions:

1. What machine are you getting this error on relative to where SQL Express is installed?
    2. Do you have TCP enabled or disabled?
    3. Are you using a dynamic or static TCP port?
    4. Have you enabled SQL Express for remote connection using this KB article?

Mike

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 12:38 AM
  • Hello Mike,

1. The error message from SQLBrowser appears in the local event log, the same computer running SQL Server 2000, 2005 and Express (this is all localhost).

2. TCP is disabled for both SQL Server 2005 and Express edition, however, the error is only shown for Express edition in the event log.

3. Well, apart from that TCP is disabled, the settings are listed for IP1-3 + IPAll. The setting TCP Dynamic Ports is set to 0 for IP1-3, and for TCP All it is set to 1172. The TCP Port is listed as "" (empty string) for all the four entries. These should be default settings, I have not intentionally changed them as far as I can recall. I compared this to one of the other computers I have access to here (with the same SQL versions installed), and that one was looking the same, except for that TCP Dynamic Ports for TCP All was set to 0 on that one (still the same message in event log).

4. No, I have not done that, and it is ok if it isn't accessible for remote connection. Do you think that this article may apply to my message in the event log even though I don't intend to use remote connections?

I was looking around and found someone claiming this was behaviour by design for this version of the SQL server:

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=3&eventno=8127&source=SQLBrowser&phase=1

Don't know if it could have anything to do with that fact?

Thanks for your help!

Thursday, May 3, 2007 5:35 PM
  • Hi Henrik,

Since you indicated that you don't need remote connections, you can probably just shut down SQL Browswer. The point of SQL Browser is to enumerate to servers on your computer and publish them so they can be seen over the network. There might be an issue if the other copies of SQL Server need to be browsable from the network.

Would this solution work for you?

Mike

Friday, May 4, 2007 2:17 PM
  • Hello Mike,

It would be perfectly ok if none of my local SQL Servers (2000, 2005 and Express) would be remotely accessible.

The few times I would need to access my local SQL servers remotely I can just enable the SQL Browser service manually.

Something made me think that the SQL Browser service was needed even if I only was accessing the servers locally.

I'm not sure where I got that from.

I tried your suggestion now and it works great to connect and work without the SQL Browser service.

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 5:20 PM