none
Membership App_Data folder and data files RRS feed

• Question

• I am testing Membership on my personal web site. I created the App_Data folder and data files with the Web Site Administrative Tool a part of Visual Web Developer 2010 Express.  I selected Internet and entered a User Name and Password. I then Published the App_Data folder and the data files to my web site, MervNorton.com. My test User Name is test and the Password is test@7446. Click on the model airplane in the upper right corner to access the Login Page.  Check the Error message and tell me what I am doing wrong.

I have created another Web site. 1stSigBdeAssn.org,  with Membership using the exact procedures  that works but it was with a different provider.

Am I doing something wrong or is the problem with my provider. AREIXV,  who tells me I have to create the App_Data folder and data files using their Control Panel.

Merv
    Sunday, August 7, 2011 7:45 PM

All replies

• This could be due to a number of things. You say the site that this worked on was with a different provider. Does the host for this site support SQL Express?

Another reason could be permissions on the server. Does the App_Data folder have read/write permissions? (It should normally be automatic but may require manually setting).

When you publish the site you would automatically create the right folders and publish the db but there may be other settings needed on the server.

Your provider should be able to help.

Ian Haynes

EW V4 Add-Ins
    EW resources, hints and tips
    Sunday, August 7, 2011 8:46 PM
  • Have you asked your host for the proper connection string to use for your site?

Your web.config file would have the connection string you are using locally, but the hosted site will most likely need a different one. And sometimes they tell you what Name you must use for the connection string.

Until you have that right, your database stuff will not work.

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Expression Web database tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with FP, Access, Bots and Wizards
    LawOfAllTheLand.org -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET.
    Arvixe -- My favored web host
    Monday, August 8, 2011 12:28 AM