P2P on Windows Mobile RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone try this out yet?  I've already written a P2P app for Vista/XP, now I'm trying to get my PDA to connect to this software.  I started by downloading the Redistributable Server Components for Windows Mobile 5, I'm already set up with VS 2005 and the WM5 SDK, along with all updates.  I can build my PDA application, but all of the P2P functions are unresolved symbols (like PeerGraphStartup, etc.).  I've included P2P.lib, which was bundled with the server components, but don't know why there are so many unresolved functions.  I did have to comment out some filters in p2p.h:

#ifdef UNDER_CE

//

// Filter the file based on P2P components included

//

//# define NO_P2P_IDENTITY

//# define NO_P2P_GROUP

//# define NO_P2P_GRAPH

There is apparently very little documentation or sample projects out there.  Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 6:28 PM

Answers

• To quickly explain why your app won't build for Windows Mobile -- the only P2P component that can run on Windows Mobile is PNRP v1.0.  PNRP v2.0 is the current version of PNRP and it is not backward compatible so there isn't much of a P2P story for Windows Mobile developers.

Typically if a header file detects what your target environment is and then defines some symbols in response you should not undefine these symbols.  In your particular case the header file detected that your target environment was Windows Mobile and in response it disabled the p2p components that aren't included in Windows Mobile, namely p2p grouping, p2p graphing and the p2p identity manager.  You are getting unresolved symbols because the version of p2p.lib that you can install on Windows Mobile does not included any of the p2p graphing or p2p grouping API.

Sorry that you can't do much with the current p2p sdk for Windows Mobile.  Hopefully in the future it will be updated to allow Windows Mobile developers to write p2p apps.

Thursday, May 31, 2007 12:05 AM