Is surround sound available in this preview?

Question

• Just been playing back some blurays and noticed that surround sound is missing. It has been tough to get the bluray players running. I managed to get WinDVD running but the option for changing speaker numbers is greyed and unreachable.

Also tried MPC - Homecinema. I can set the speakers on the DTS and DD tabs to 3front + 2rear as normal but no surround channels play.

My speakers are set to 5.1 in both Windows CPL and Creative Audio Switcher and the speaker tests work as they should. CMSS 3D also sends music to the rears.

I know there has been news about Windows 8 not supporting Dolby but as I understand it MPC & WinDVD have their own codecs or am I mistaken.

Any advice?

Monday, December 5, 2011 6:37 PM

Answers

• Well it seems that under Windows 8 DP you cannot enable surround sound and have EAX running. After disabling EAX all the various speaker configurations are displayed on the WinDVD audio tab. Surround sound is now working.

Clicking on the 'Soundblaster' tan in the control panel\sounds\ CPL also causes an error. A Windows Shell conflict of some kind.

• Marked as answer by Jac70 Monday, December 5, 2011 7:33 PM
    Monday, December 5, 2011 7:33 PM