Test Plan Configuration - Test Cases, Multiple Roles RRS feed

• Question

• Using MTM 2010 and have a lab environment setup with 3 roles/machines each of which is a desktop client.  It seems I can only configure my test plan to use one role/machine.  I would like to have the automated test associated with the test plan run under a specific role.  How can I achieve this?

For Example:

TestPlan

1.  Create Something - Role/Machine 1 - Desktop Client

2.  Check Something - Role/Machine 1 - Desktop Client

3.  Send something back - Role/Machine 2 - Desktop Client

So, I guess to replay the question, how can I create Test Settings for a specific Test Case where the test settings are attached to a role/machine?

• Edited by samer__ Wednesday, November 21, 2012 9:16 PM
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 9:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you would like to assign one specific role when run test case, you need to create multiple test settings for these role machines to accomplish it. And when you run test case in MTM, please choose the Run with options node and choose the appropriate test setting file.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, November 23, 2012 8:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you would like to assign one specific role when run test case, you need to create multiple test settings for these role machines to accomplish it. And when you run test case in MTM, please choose the Run with options node and choose the appropriate test setting file.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]

Friday, November 23, 2012 8:05 AM
  • I would like to run all the test cases in order, so that Test Case 1, uses test settings assigned to Role/Machine 1 and test case 2, uses test settings for Role/Machine 2.

How can I run all the test cases within the test plan with certain ones using different test settings.

Thanks,

Samer

Sunday, November 25, 2012 12:41 PM
  • Hi,

For your current scenario, I think you need to execute these 3 test cases manually and specify the test settings separately. See: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff423847.aspx

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]

Monday, November 26, 2012 9:56 AM
  • Can I do this programmatically with the Test Manager API.  I am not finding a way to execute an individual Test Case via API.   Is it possible, I am not organizing my Test Plans correctly.  Should the scenario listed in this thread be a part of 2 Test Plans rather than 1.

Thanks,

Samer

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 4:16 PM