Keep items checked out when check in RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Very useful option: Keep items checked out when check in. After some time I must check in when this option is checked

How can I do it? How I can to check in files without check out?

Monday, January 9, 2012 4:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Olegmkr,

"Keep items checked out when checking in"

If selected, when you perform a check-in operation, Team Foundation version control keeps the files checked out. The latest version of your working items are saved to Team Foundation version control, but the items remain checked out to you.

You will probably want to use this option when you want to check out, lock a file, the lock is released when you check in the file, you would apply this option to commit your code yet not give up the lock on the file. Apart from this, i don't see any practical use of this option. You will continue to see this file checked out even though you may not have any code changes to check in. You can right click and undo changes if you would like to remove the checked out flag from this file. 

HTH
    Cheers, Tarun 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Tarun Arora

Blog: http://geekswithblogs.net/TarunArora  Subscribe in a reader

• Proposed as answer by Matt Ring Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by Lily_WuModerator Friday, January 20, 2012 7:18 AM
    Monday, January 9, 2012 9:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Olegmkr,

"Keep items checked out when checking in"

If selected, when you perform a check-in operation, Team Foundation version control keeps the files checked out. The latest version of your working items are saved to Team Foundation version control, but the items remain checked out to you.

You will probably want to use this option when you want to check out, lock a file, the lock is released when you check in the file, you would apply this option to commit your code yet not give up the lock on the file. Apart from this, i don't see any practical use of this option. You will continue to see this file checked out even though you may not have any code changes to check in. You can right click and undo changes if you would like to remove the checked out flag from this file. 

HTH
    Cheers, Tarun 

Tarun Arora

• Proposed as answer by Matt Ring Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by Lily_WuModerator Friday, January 20, 2012 7:18 AM
    Monday, January 9, 2012 9:55 PM
  • You will probably want to use this option when you want to check out, lock a file, the lock is released when you check in the file, you would apply this option to commit your code yet not give up the lock on the file. Apart from this, i don't see any practical use of this option.

Isn't that obvious? You check because you have accomplished some partial goal and it's good enough to include a build, but you have more work to do.

Yeah, if you are in Visual Studio, the file would be checked out automatically, but not everyone works from Visual Studio.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Monday, January 9, 2012 10:36 PM
  • Erland,

Just to add a bit more context, this option really is a hang over from the VSS days. As you would notice, it is not enabled by default and has been provisioned for users who are used to the VSS style of hold the shift key when checking in to have the file remain checked out.

And if you wanted to, you could change the option from silently checking out a file to prompt for check out as well, refer to the screen shot below. 

Tarun Arora

Monday, January 9, 2012 10:52 PM
  • Hi Olegmkr,

Thank you for your post.

Tarun's reply has provided useful information, you can refer to it.

For more information you can refer to Version Control Environment Options.

I hope this information will help resolve this issue.

If anything is unclear, please free feel to let me know.

Best Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:02 AM
  • Hi Olegmkr

How about the issue now?

If anything is unclear, please free feel to let me know.

Best Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 2:05 AM
  • All attempts to answer this question, we use the option tells Visual Studio:

TOOLS / OPTIONS ... / SOURCE CONTROL / ENVIRONMENT / KEEP ITEMS CHECKED OUT WHEN CHECKING IN

But guys, this does not work! Do not know if it's a problem of the tool or my environment, however, many people report that it does not really make any effect.
    Whenever I enable and do the check-in of files, but it just does not keep Checked-out files.

Visual Studio and TFS really have many points still flawed.

Someone actually has a definitive solution to this?

Abs
    Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:59 AM