Communication Application server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I need to develope a communication layer between a windows application and industry field device.

The windows application will read and write values from the device. I want to ask how to develope an application server of the layer that servise the windows application.

The windows application will be the client and the server read and write the values.

Please help.

Best regards...

Tuesday, April 4, 2006 9:26 PM

Answers

• OK So this is what I would recommend.
    Write a WIndows Service using C#. This will talk to the PLC
    The windows service also listens on a socket. The UI layer simply connects to the socket and issues custom commands to retreive the data. 
    Or depending on the complexity, the server can simply write the data to a file and
    the UI layer can read it.

Wednesday, April 5, 2006 3:26 PM
  • ALl TCP Connections are bi directional.
    Saturday, April 8, 2006 7:40 PM

All replies

• Can you explain in little more detail?
    1. Where is the field device? Is it on the internet or local network?
    2. What sort of communications exist between the windows box and the device?
    3. Are there three things? Windows CLient APP -- Windows Server app - Device?

Wednesday, April 5, 2006 2:56 AM
  • Thanks,

The field device is a PLC, it connected to the PC through RS232 interface.

The commuinication between the PC and the PLC I implement with the communication protocol supplied by the PLC factory.

The global picture is :

The Windows Application server responsible for linking the UI application with the PLC. it like OPC server if you know.

I thought , that making the PLC invoking data from the UI layer isn't efficient, so I want to check the oportunity with server.

UI layer  <---->     Server<---->PLC

Thank you in advance.

Wednesday, April 5, 2006 11:55 AM
  • OK So this is what I would recommend.
    Write a WIndows Service using C#. This will talk to the PLC
    The windows service also listens on a socket. The UI layer simply connects to the socket and issues custom commands to retreive the data. 
    Or depending on the complexity, the server can simply write the data to a file and
    the UI layer can read it.

Wednesday, April 5, 2006 3:26 PM
  • Thanks Gorti,

I understood your idea, you didn't take the writing issue into account. I mean how to write data at the same time we reading. Maybe I want to chande certain data on the PLC. Do you have a suggestion

best regards...

Saturday, April 8, 2006 8:13 AM
  • ALl TCP Connections are bi directional.
    Saturday, April 8, 2006 7:40 PM