How does the People app create its grouped listview in snapview?

Question

• I wonder how they do it? In the listlayout the listview does not have a group header. But yet, the People app supports semantic zoom and grouping even in snapped view.
    Friday, June 8, 2012 2:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Phil,

There is no store requirement that the snap view has to be fully functional.  It just should not be a jumbled mess!  If you look at some games they also do not have a snap view (it does not make sense).

A really GREAT Metro app would implement a snap view that is still functional, but some times the app cannot be fully functional in a snap view.

Here is a reference for some ideas of layout etc... in snap view:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465371.aspx

Zap me with questions!

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 12:52 PM

All replies

• I have just ran into the same problem as well.  Anybody have any thoughts?
    Friday, June 8, 2012 4:10 PM
  • There's a lot of custom code in there. In fact, I would not be surprised if they don't use the ListView at all.
    Friday, June 8, 2012 5:15 PM
  • That seems true, unfortunately :( I've quickly checked the code and the control they created is VirtualizedGridView, a private MS API. So much for "developers are going to use the same code we use here at MS" from the build//.

Why not make the ListView allow grouped views in Listmode also and instead invent a totally new control nobody outside MS is able to (re-use) is not understandable. It might be technical constraints with the Listviews caching algo but I am sure they could have worked something out there.

Now we are stuck and have to also reimplement our own custom list controls, which of course will all behave slightly different. Sad.

Friday, June 8, 2012 5:29 PM
  • This is the code of just one team, not the whole of Microsoft. I also have trouble understanding and agreeing with some of their decisions. The vast majority of other teams making metro apps just use the stock stuff. Anyway, the point is that they're not doing anything that you can't do: it's just they have the resources to rewrite things from scratch.

One suggestion was to insert items into your listview datasource that "pretend" to be group headers if you are using a ListLayout. That can be done with mostly CSS, and an onselected handler could prevent them from being interacted with.

Friday, June 8, 2012 6:22 PM
  • I understand, but you can understand our frustration I guess. It might sounded a little bit harsh, but we have to jump through hoops here to meet the strict Store requirements and MSFT is not helping us making the Snapped view a simple thing of reusing the Listview.

Also I recognized, that the Skydrive app does not implement a special designed snapview but just display the horizontal scrolling Listview as if in Landscape view. How could that ever pass as a Store submission? ;)

Friday, June 8, 2012 7:59 PM
  • Oh man, I just tried to snap SkyDrive. I really don't think that's the final implementation, that look ridiculous. :D

Friday, June 8, 2012 9:22 PM
  • Yes Bryan, and I wonder how it passed Store submission ;) 
    Saturday, June 9, 2012 5:30 PM
  • Hi Phil,

The app has to be able to recover from Snapped view after you un-snap but does not have to do anything useful in that view!

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:58 PM
  • Hey Jeff,

really? We are fighting hard here to get the snap view reasonable useable. Would you be so kind to point out the specs where it describes how the snap view has to work (especially to pass store requirements)? I only found that the app has still to be usable in snap view and I have no clue how strict the MS reviewers take this when reviewing the app for the store.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:32 PM
  • Hi Phil,

There is no store requirement that the snap view has to be fully functional.  It just should not be a jumbled mess!  If you look at some games they also do not have a snap view (it does not make sense).

A really GREAT Metro app would implement a snap view that is still functional, but some times the app cannot be fully functional in a snap view.

Here is a reference for some ideas of layout etc... in snap view:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465371.aspx

Zap me with questions!

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 12:52 PM