none
Classes missing from Word 2010 type library compared to Word 2002 version RRS feed

• Question

• We include the Microsoft Word type library into our application in order to provide a letter-building interface to MS Word.
    We are currently upgrading the version of Word in use by our application from 2002 to 2010 (in line with a project to upgrade our Citrix host environment from Windows 2003 to Windows 2012).
    We are hopeful that we will not need to re-code any functionality, since prior anecdotal evidence when running the application from our laptops (which already use Word 2010) suggests the functionality is compatible between the two versions (i.e. Word 2010 appears to support Word 2002 functionality, and we are able to generate documents that look the same as before, all without having had to make any changes to the application).
    However, if we do encounter issues as a result of more thorough formal testing re. the Citrix project, it may mean some re-coding.
    So, in anticipation should that happen, we have tried incorporating the Word 2010 type library (Microsoft Word 14.0 Object Library.apl) into our existing application, i.e. replacing the Word 2002 type library (confusingly called Microsoft Word 10.0 Object Library.apl); in order to check whether the application would still generally compile / perform as it does with Word 2002.
    But we encountered significant compilation errors and noticed that the number of classes visible in the newer version was considerably fewer than in the old version (hence the compilation errors, as many objects did not exist any more).
    Does anyone know why that would be?
    One theory we have is that the missing classes may have been moved to a type library that is not Word-specific, i.e. perhaps a common type library for several Office tools perhaps?
    Any suggestions / corrections welcome, thank you.
    Thursday, September 21, 2017 7:28 AM

Answers

• Hi Cheddar Tim,

As far as I know, Office object library did large updates since Office 2007. Many classes had been changed and keep relative fixed since Office 2007. I think that's why Microsoft Word 14.0 Object Library has different classes with Microsoft Word 10.0 Object Library.

If you want to update your project using Microsoft Word 14.0 Object Library, I think you need to recreate most part of your  project to make it work.

Best Regards,

Terry

• Marked as answer by Cheddar Tim Wednesday, September 27, 2017 8:11 AM
    Friday, September 22, 2017 6:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Cheddar Tim,

As far as I know, Office object library did large updates since Office 2007. Many classes had been changed and keep relative fixed since Office 2007. I think that's why Microsoft Word 14.0 Object Library has different classes with Microsoft Word 10.0 Object Library.

If you want to update your project using Microsoft Word 14.0 Object Library, I think you need to recreate most part of your  project to make it work.

Best Regards,

Terry

• Marked as answer by Cheddar Tim Wednesday, September 27, 2017 8:11 AM
    Friday, September 22, 2017 6:29 AM
  • Hi Terry,

Thanks very much for this information - not particularly good news for us, but much better to know for our planning, e.g. in case we had just been looking in the wrong place.

Thanks again

Tim

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 11:39 AM
  • Hi Cheddar Tim,

I'm glad the reply could help you and I would suggest you mark answer to close this thread. If you have any other issue related to Word development, please feel free to post thread to let us know.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 7:47 AM