none
[PHP][Web Apps] Wordpress Admin too slow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have deployed a standard Azure Wordpress site with ClearDB database.
    At the moment it's visible at: http://volierebouw.azurewebsites.net/

It's a very basic install with nothing special. The site, and especially the back-end, is very slow. Usually 5-10 seconds per click. I've upgraded the AppService price category to B1 Basic and the database plan to Titan, but that changed nothing.

I've seen multiple posts online from people with the same problem but no resolution.

I'd love to host all my sites on Azure because the setup is very simple and the scalability is great but with these speeds it's unbearable.

Does anyone have a solution for this? Or maybe someone (from Microsoft?) can contact me at +****.

Thank you,
    Marc Selman

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 9:59 PM

Answers

• Hi Marc,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Generally, we can from two sides to research why our website have the long time to load and poor performance.

Firstly, We should ensure website front-end works fine. I used the webpage test to dig into your side, I found something. Please see those screenshot:

According to this picture, we can see the different time spent in your first view and repeat view. So I suggest you enable the "Always On" feature on Azure Website Configuration dashboard firstly. We also can see your image, fonts and JS files downloaded take more time, So I suggest you can save static files into Azure Storage and use CDN to cache these files to speed up the website.  Meanwhile, we can see the two errors about the font in the WordPress theme. Please fix it. 

Secondly, we need make sure backend has a good performance. Generally, we also make the website and database  in same region to improve there performance. For instance, we can create a website which is host east of US. For good performance, we should create the database in the east of US. Please make sure your ClearDB and website in same region. At the same time, I suggest you can monitor your ClearDB performance on ClearDB Dashboard when your website connect to database . Please share more information about your ClearDB performance.

Any concerns or misunderstanding, please let me know.

[Note]
    To prevent disclosure of your information and forum policy, I have removed your personal information from forum. Thanks for your cooperation.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, December 3, 2015 12:46 PM

All replies

• I think you need to check the regions of your website and MySQL database service. When we create a web app service, it required us to select a region which will decide which data center will host the web site. So if your web site and MySQL server or your browsing areas are cross region, it may cost a lot loading time.

Also, I recommend you refer to this blog about how to improve our website performance: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/10-ways-to-speed-up-your-wordpress-site-on-azure-websites/

Additionally, I leveraged Test a website's performance to test the load performance of your site. As the details report shows, it spent a lot time to load the gprofiles.js file. Maybe it due to this JavaScript file is hosted on the CDN server which is cross region with your website. You may replace the CDN region. Here is your performance report summary.
    Wednesday, December 2, 2015 3:57 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I've done some measurements too and it looks like the general performance of PHP and the database on Azure are the culprit.

See attached image.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 6:17 PM
  • Hi Marc,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Generally, we can from two sides to research why our website have the long time to load and poor performance.

Firstly, We should ensure website front-end works fine. I used the webpage test to dig into your side, I found something. Please see those screenshot:

According to this picture, we can see the different time spent in your first view and repeat view. So I suggest you enable the "Always On" feature on Azure Website Configuration dashboard firstly. We also can see your image, fonts and JS files downloaded take more time, So I suggest you can save static files into Azure Storage and use CDN to cache these files to speed up the website.  Meanwhile, we can see the two errors about the font in the WordPress theme. Please fix it. 

Secondly, we need make sure backend has a good performance. Generally, we also make the website and database  in same region to improve there performance. For instance, we can create a website which is host east of US. For good performance, we should create the database in the east of US. Please make sure your ClearDB and website in same region. At the same time, I suggest you can monitor your ClearDB performance on ClearDB Dashboard when your website connect to database . Please share more information about your ClearDB performance.

Any concerns or misunderstanding, please let me know.

[Note]
    To prevent disclosure of your information and forum policy, I have removed your personal information from forum. Thanks for your cooperation.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, December 3, 2015 12:46 PM
  • Hi,

I have a case which is similar, I have optimized as far as I have found tips in the net. But it is still slow, and getting slower.

I have now configured CDN and get an error, a 403 error on the CSS library on CDN endpoint site.

Checking  with Pingdom vares from 3 seconds to 8 seconds on the same page.

http://www.365norge.no/hvordan-kjope-office365/

Best regards

- Geir

Thursday, September 15, 2016 7:59 PM