none
CSOM + Built Team with Unit RRS feed

• Question

• I need to assign Units while building team in Project. 

does CSOM allow this!!? if No, then what are my options other than using Macro in Project Plan.

Also See the https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.projectserver.client.projectresourcecreationinformation_di_pj14mref_members.aspx

which does not allow any Unit updates while creating the Project Resource

Thanks, Parth

• Edited by Parth Rawal Wednesday, November 16, 2016 8:11 AM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2016 8:07 AM

Answers

• Assuming you are working with Project Server or Project Online, what you show in your screenshot is part of the enterprise resource settings. So it is not defined at project level but at resource level. You can say that a resource has 80% availability overall, because for example he does not work on wednesday, which makes 80%. But you cannot say that a resource will work 50% on a project and 50% on another project.

A workaround is to used the resource engagement feature, new to PS2016 and Project Online, which allows defining a committed % unit per resource per project, but it is not a constraint on the assignments, it is more like a communication enabler tool.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

• Marked as answer by Parth Rawal Thursday, November 17, 2016 5:19 AM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2016 12:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Parth,

I don't know about CSOM, but note that when you create a proejct team (add resources to the build team), you don't specify a unit. You specify the resource availability when creating it, and you specify the resource unit when creating an assignment in a project, but not when creating the team.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 9:13 AM
  • As you see below, there is an option of changing the unit  during Built team.

Can you elaborate more on this please?

Thanks, Parth

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 11:09 AM
  • Assuming you are working with Project Server or Project Online, what you show in your screenshot is part of the enterprise resource settings. So it is not defined at project level but at resource level. You can say that a resource has 80% availability overall, because for example he does not work on wednesday, which makes 80%. But you cannot say that a resource will work 50% on a project and 50% on another project.

A workaround is to used the resource engagement feature, new to PS2016 and Project Online, which allows defining a committed % unit per resource per project, but it is not a constraint on the assignments, it is more like a communication enabler tool.

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by Parth Rawal Thursday, November 17, 2016 5:19 AM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2016 12:49 PM
  • Awesome!! 

Every time i think i know Project Server enough, something like this comes up and makes me wonder how wide this tools is. amazing. And thanks for the reply and help. will post some on this if require more details. 

Thanks, Parth

Thursday, November 17, 2016 5:19 AM