none
RDLC expression editor: wipes out custom function name RRS feed

• Question

• Visual Studio 2010 SP1:

I'm aware that custom functions (code) can be run no problem even though intellisense doesn't know about them, but in the expression editor, when I type =Code.MyFunction(   when I type the open paren, intellisense wipes out the function name.  Is this normal?  Right now I'm having to fight with the editor to prevent it from overwriting my custom function name.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 1:21 AM

All replies

• This is going back in time for my recollection. I believe you can put the assembly in IDE\PrivateAssemblies and add a reference in your project, then this would not happen. I am not positive though, this might be a bug.

Brad Syputa, Microsoft Reporting Services This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:47 PM
  • Brad,

Thanks for the tip about making an assembly, but I bet 95% of people calling custom code functions aren't using an assembly, but are just putting a handful of functions into the report itself in the "code" window.

So, this is obviously a bug, and one that's "front and center" and will be seen by most everyone.  I guess I can file a connect bug...I'm surprised that no one else is mentioning this.

Thanks.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 2:14 PM
  • It looks like this was fixed in the VS 11 beta...so like most MS bug fixes, it's thrown into the next release instead of giving us a hotfix for the current release.
    Monday, May 21, 2012 5:00 PM