Files removed from local machine when building RRS feed

• Question

• I believe this issue is with the source control binding. Here's a description of what's been happening:

• I go to build a solution and I get an error message that components were not found.
    • If I open the location of the file using Explorer I can see that it's physically gone.
    • In the solution explorer I see a little yellow '!' icon on the missing files. When I hover over them, it says "Checked-in."
    • If I get latest, it tells me all of my files are already updated.
    • If I right-click, select Source Control > Get Specific Version, select Latest, and check the "Overwrite all files even if the local version matches the specified version" it will pull down the most recent version of the file from source control. If I've shelved any changes, it pulls down the version from my latest shelveset. If I have not shelved any changes they are gone forever.
    • This issue is only happening with one specific project on one specific branch of a solution. I've been working on different branches and with different solutions and have not seen any issues with any but this one project in this one branch. That said, this is my main branch and this is the project I've been working on the most since the problem started.
    • I tried creating a separate workspace just in case it has something to do with the workspace or the mapping. That seemed to resolve the issue for a few days but it started again.
    • I've verified I have the latest version of Visual Studio by checking Windows Update for any update packages. I also ran a full scan, did a disk cleanup, and ran a full disk defrag.

I'm using VisualStudio 2013. My company is on an older version of TFS, I believe it's 2012.

Thursday, September 8, 2016 11:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It's really strange that in your Source Control Explorer, all the .cs file are black. It seems that all the files are get download.

Please open those .cs files in VS, and move your mouse to the tile of that .cs file. It will show the location path. Check if their path is another place. I think the file may not under that folder but mapped to another place.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 3:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting here.

>>If I open the location of the file using Explorer I can see that it's physically gone.

You mean that only one solution has this issue? And what kind of projects/solution you are use? You mean that some files are missing in your workspace and what kind of files are they?

Could you please provide some screenshots on your issue?

In your VS2013, click TOOLS-->Options-->Source Control-->Visual Studio Team Foundation Server-->check the "Show deleted items in source control explorer" checkbox. Then in Source Control Explorer window in VS2013, can you see that missing file?

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, September 9, 2016 8:13 AM
  • Hi Tingting,

So far I've only had the issue in the one solution. I haven't found a reliable repro for it; it just happens sometimes. Next time the issue happens I'll get some screenshots.

Some of the files go missing. I'll notice it when I build but I'm not sure when it happens.

When this happened yesterday I was seeing the deleted items in source control with a yellow '!' and when I hovered over that I saw "Checked-in." I did get a screenshot of that, but it won't let me post screenshots until my account is verified. I'm not seeing any email in my inbox to verify the account. Sorry. :(

I checked in the options menu and "Show deleted items in the Source Control explorer" is currently unselected.

The project this is happening in is a .NET 4.5.1 web service project. It's our middle layer between our Odata services and our UI. When the files disappear, it's only on my local not on source control. Around 50 different files will just be deleted off my local machine when I build, and with the exception of one time where there were additional files, it's always the same ones. For example, I have an App_Start folder under this project that has 7 .cs files, and when I go to build I'll get an error that those files could not be found. When I use Windows Explorer to look at the physical location of the files on my machine the folder is empty. All of the affected files are under this same services project, and some folders lose all files, some lose only some files, and some folders in the project don't lose any files at all. I'm the only person having this issue on my team, and there are other team members working in this same solution.

Hope that helps. I'll try to get some more screenshots next time it happens.

Friday, September 9, 2016 3:30 PM
  • The issue just happened again. I have two workspaces set up because I created a second one to see if the problem had something to do with the workspace itself or how it was mapped. I was getting strange errors in workspace#2 so I shelved all my changes, switched to workspace#1, pulled down my changes, then built the solution from the Build option in VS and got the issue again. I have a screenshot but I'm not sure what I need to do to verify my account so I can post it. I will leave workspace#1 in this state and work from workspace#2 in case you have more questions.
    Friday, September 9, 2016 4:46 PM
  • I've uploaded the screenshot. Here it is. Product and company names have been obfuscated.

http://screencast.com/t/DY4jkOrYM7bh

Friday, September 9, 2016 6:18 PM
  • Hi ER,

Thank you for the picture. This issue happened in the Solution Explorer, could you please check the Source Control Explorer, if this files is existing in it and still has the yellow exclamation symbol and share a screenshot of Source Control Explorer. (In VS-->Team Explorer-->Home-->Source Control Explorer).

From the picture you posted above, all files are checked in well, the yellow exclamation symbol usually represents that file can't find in your local space. Right click the file, and choose Property, see the Path. Check if the file really under that path.

Sunday, September 11, 2016 3:02 AM
  • Hi Tingting,

The files are showing up in source control explorer. When I open the file path, the files are not there. Here is a screenshot that shows the source control explorer opened to a folder with the missing files and the explorer window open to the file path location.

http://screencast.com/t/KznGAmVos

Edited to add: the problem is that the files are spontaneously disappearing off my local workspace, including files I'm actively editing.
    Monday, September 12, 2016 4:02 PM
  • Hi,

It's really strange that in your Source Control Explorer, all the .cs file are black. It seems that all the files are get download.

Please open those .cs files in VS, and move your mouse to the tile of that .cs file. It will show the location path. Check if their path is another place. I think the file may not under that folder but mapped to another place.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 3:08 AM