Very Hiden Worksheets are still very Visible RRS feed

• Question

• A visible list of all of the worksheets in a workbook and all but two are xlVeryHiddenHi All,

Just migrating an Excel file from office 2007 on 32bit windows to office 2013 on 64bit and patching the odd new quirk in the vba however there is one which is frustrating.

The workbook has several worksheets which have their visibility set to xlVeryHidden which are very visible.  you cannot see them in the workbook, and if someone looks at the unhide list then they are not there either.

However in order to discover these pages exist, all anyone has to do is click File>Info and they are presented with a long list of every worksheet in the "Protect Workbook" panel.  Unfortunately this is the default view after pressing File, which people do with every file, a lot, so it will only take people a few seconds to discover all of these worksheets and start digging etc.

I've had a search, but either I'm the first person to ask this or I'm searching with the wrong keywords, but...

Please can someone tell me how to hide pages from this list.

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 4:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Antony,

From the tip:

One or more sheets in this workbook have been locked to prevent unwanted changes to the data

The list shows all the sheets protected. I'm afraid Excel doesn't provide the relevant object to custom the UI to hide this list except unprotect the sheets. All the Office user interface control you can find from the following link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36798

The protected sheets list provide an access for users to open the sheet with right password. If you hide the list ,and the sheet was xlVeryHidden, users may can't find an entry to choose which sheet to step into. And you can submit your feedback to Microsoft in the following site

Submit Feedback - Microsoft Support

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards

Lan

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Antony White Friday, February 6, 2015 4:10 PM
    Friday, February 6, 2015 3:09 AM
  • Hi Lanlan,

Thank you for your response.  I decided to simply unprotect veryhidden sheets and protect them before making them visible in the VBA.  Setting up the UI in advance would be impractical.

I spent far more effort trying to find a switch to turn the list off than I did implementing he work around.  Which is usually the case I suppose.

• Marked as answer by Antony White Friday, February 6, 2015 4:18 PM
    Friday, February 6, 2015 4:17 PM

All replies

• I can see the same thing; protected sheets show up in this list.

Is it important? The sheets are protected and can't be opened without a password so why does it matter if people can see the tab names?

I'm new to 2013 so maybe there's some other way around this.

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 6:50 PM
  • By seeing the tab in the file option, it is stil not available to the reader.

If you put an very good password on the VBA code nobody can change the status of the tab, from veryhidden to visible.

Reshma

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 7:02 PM
  • That's true, but it defeats the point of having the very hidden option if files are no longer very hidden.

The files are password protected on worksheet, workbook and vba level, but we all know it can be removed with the right tools/add ins, I just don't want to set any bait to encourage people to attempt it.

If anyone has a solution it would be appreciated.

Thursday, February 5, 2015 9:06 AM
  • Hi, 

I tried in 2013 I don't see the tabs, not the normal tabs and not the very hidden tabs. 

Reshma

Thursday, February 5, 2015 9:31 AM
  • Hi Antony,

From the tip:

One or more sheets in this workbook have been locked to prevent unwanted changes to the data

The list shows all the sheets protected. I'm afraid Excel doesn't provide the relevant object to custom the UI to hide this list except unprotect the sheets. All the Office user interface control you can find from the following link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36798

The protected sheets list provide an access for users to open the sheet with right password. If you hide the list ,and the sheet was xlVeryHidden, users may can't find an entry to choose which sheet to step into. And you can submit your feedback to Microsoft in the following site

Submit Feedback - Microsoft Support

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards

Lan

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Antony White Friday, February 6, 2015 4:10 PM
    Friday, February 6, 2015 3:09 AM
  • Hi Lanlan,

Thank you for your response.  I decided to simply unprotect veryhidden sheets and protect them before making them visible in the VBA.  Setting up the UI in advance would be impractical.

I spent far more effort trying to find a switch to turn the list off than I did implementing he work around.  Which is usually the case I suppose.

• Marked as answer by Antony White Friday, February 6, 2015 4:18 PM
    Friday, February 6, 2015 4:17 PM