Root element missing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I use source control and crash plan for my backups so normally when I get this error it really isn't a big deal, ok maybe a little pain but no problems. However today I've done a lot of work on a particular section of my app without a commit as the work wasn't right and I've got this dreaded error. A whole days work lost - and a long day at that!

Are the LS team doing anything to address this? I've personally experienced this problem over ten times I'd suggest and the forum is riddled with instances of it. Surely something so deadly should be considered a pretty big bug?!

I was doing nothing out of the ordinary at the time. I'd made some changes to a table, built the app and ran it and that's it. Done. All my work today gone. It's so frustrating.

Any feedback on this would be appreciated. Bugs like this weaken my confidence in VS and specifically LS. It's almost like a time-bomb waiting to occur. I get it at some point in larger projects.

Thank you.

Paul.

Thursday, April 10, 2014 9:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Paul,

We have always managed to fix the projects and continue. We also take between check-in backups locally and use our AIDE Exchange hub to snapshot screens metadata and code. With import/export we never lose a full day's work. Also do a full locally backup immediately on encountering any problem like this, as typical steps taken will often make matters worse.

What is needed in this case is some simple repro steps to submit to Msft Connect. I was going to give it a try as I have a few suspicions as to how to repro. Fancy helping?

Dave

Dave Baker | AIDE for LightSwitch | Xpert360 blog | twitter : @xpert360 | Xpert360 website | Opinions are my own. For better forums, remember to mark posts as helpful/answer.

Friday, April 11, 2014 2:26 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Is all that you mentioned about in Aide 2013? I may have to give it some consideration if it is. That sounds very handy.

Yes I'd be more than happy with any help here. I'm on twitter as @paulpitchford if you follow me there I can dm you my email address.

Thanks,

Paul.

Friday, April 11, 2014 4:53 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Did you see my last response? I've had another 'biggie' today. I use the DevExpress Reporting extension and had a problem where it wouldn't show the datasource when adding new reports. I removed the report, datasource and extension to go for a full reset and got the dreaded reload screen again. This time...

1. I had committed to source control just before so was able to get the solution working again.

2. I'd noticed the error was because the Devexpress datasource hadn't been removed from the server project file so was easily fixable by manually removing it.

There is clearly something wrong here. Fortunately today I'd had the thought to commit but also I'd noticed the error pretty quickly. Another hour wasted though.

Can anyone on the Lightswitch team comment or provide any suggestions for preventing this? It's extremely frustrating.

Cheers,

Paul.

Thursday, April 17, 2014 3:10 PM