Resource Managed Solution to Background Reserved IP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a series of ADF pipelines that produce output files that need to be written to an SFTP Server.. we need to therefore do something a bit "custom" in order to achieve this... with the slight caveat that we need to have an IP that is static and can be whitelisted by the SFTP server... (there is auth as well).

Options I have looked at include:

1) ADF Custom Activities w/ Batch Service.. however I cannot see a way of reserving an IP on the batch nodes

so, that rules out doing it in one step, therefore i have been thinking about

2) ADF Custom Activity to add a message to a Service Bus (we were planning on using this anyway for notifications), and then a consumer of the notifications to "move" the files

2a) App Service WebJob was my first choice as it's really light, however the outbound IP address of the calls is also not static(!)

2b) Staying with ARM I thought about Service Fabric, but sort of put it to one side as the stateless nature of it makes me think I will have the same trouble as w/ Batch Service??

2c) Cloud Service Worker Role, which is not my ideal solution... but afaik can be assigned reserved IPs... although are of the classic model which isn't ideal

2d) Custom VM with IIS installed, with a job to pick items off the Service Bus and then fetch the data as required to deposit to the SFTP

Can anyone think of another solution.. with things moving to being a bit more distributed it seems the need to assign a reserved IP to "background tasks" is slipping??

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 10:36 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Static public IP can be achieved in Azure via:

• IaaS VM with public static IP (i.e. #2d)
    • AppService deployment (webjob included) always exposed on a small set of predefined unchanged IP addresses – visible in the Web App/AppService Plan properties in the portal (can accommodate #2a)
    • Cloud services VIP (discouraged due to its classic nature as noted  in #2c)

Thanks, Harish

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 9:09 PM