What does this mean: "You cannot author against a content type in SharePoint Designer" ? RRS feed

Answers

• It means that the workflow created in SharePoint Designer cannot be associated with SharePoint content type. It is associated with a specific list/library when created.

Please read what follows from the same article as you posted in your question:

……

Association occurs when a site administrator makes the workflow template available on a specific document library, list, or content type. At this stage, the site administrator customizes the workflow for this specific document library, list, or content type by specifying the following parameter information:

·         A unique name for the workflow

·         How the workflow is applied to a given item: either automatically when the item is created or changed, or manually; and which roles, such as Administrator or Contributor, can start a workflow

·         The Task list, in which the workflow can create tasks

·         The History list in which the workflow can store history events, as defined by the workflow

In addition, the workflow developer can enable the site administration to further customize the workflow by setting parameter information specific to the particular workflow. The administrator may have to specify parameters, default values, and other information for the workflow as it applies to items on the list, library, or content type with which the administrator is associating it.

…….

Visual Studio 2005 Designer for Windows Workflow Foundation

SharePoint Designer 2007

Workflow is authored as a template, which can be associated with multiple sites and lists

Workflow is authored against and data-bound to specific list at design time

Workflow template must be associated with each list on which it is to be available

Association happens when the workflow is authored against the specific list; no later association is necessary or possible

Gu Yuming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by GuYuming Friday, March 4, 2011 2:07 AM
    Monday, February 28, 2011 3:46 AM

All replies

• There is a simple rule to avoid wasting peoples' time with parallel threads.

It is

EITHER

- ask your question as a new thread

OR

- post your question to a *current* relevant thread.

It's up to you which you do but usually starting a new thread is the more sensible approach.

Here you added this question also to a thread from you where your question had already been answered. So I deleted the part of your reply there that was the new question and left this thread.

Please in future follow the above rule/guideline.

Moderator pre-2010 forums

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 8:57 AM
  • It means that the workflow created in SharePoint Designer cannot be associated with SharePoint content type. It is associated with a specific list/library when created.

Please read what follows from the same article as you posted in your question:

……

Association occurs when a site administrator makes the workflow template available on a specific document library, list, or content type. At this stage, the site administrator customizes the workflow for this specific document library, list, or content type by specifying the following parameter information:

·         A unique name for the workflow

·         How the workflow is applied to a given item: either automatically when the item is created or changed, or manually; and which roles, such as Administrator or Contributor, can start a workflow

·         The Task list, in which the workflow can create tasks

·         The History list in which the workflow can store history events, as defined by the workflow

In addition, the workflow developer can enable the site administration to further customize the workflow by setting parameter information specific to the particular workflow. The administrator may have to specify parameters, default values, and other information for the workflow as it applies to items on the list, library, or content type with which the administrator is associating it.

…….

Visual Studio 2005 Designer for Windows Workflow Foundation

SharePoint Designer 2007

Workflow is authored as a template, which can be associated with multiple sites and lists

Workflow is authored against and data-bound to specific list at design time

Workflow template must be associated with each list on which it is to be available

Association happens when the workflow is authored against the specific list; no later association is necessary or possible

Gu Yuming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by GuYuming Friday, March 4, 2011 2:07 AM
    Monday, February 28, 2011 3:46 AM
  • > They are not parallel threads the questions are different...hence asking again.

As I wrote above, the question here (and in that reply) was a *new* question in that existing thread.

There is an equally simple rule for posting new questions in a thread when the original question has been answered. The rule is Don't do it! Once the question in a thread has been answered, that thread is finished and you start a new thread with a new question.

As you yourself wrote "the questions are different...". A new question means a new thread. It does not mean a new thread AND a reply (or part-reply) in an old thread. Hence I deleted that part reply which was an identical question to the question in this thread.

Monday, March 7, 2011 3:27 PM
  • I do see what you are saying but it's not very helpful to me - I'd rather have my 2nd question as a follow up in the original thread - I can see your point though about it being better to do as you suggest to help others with similar issues in the future - at least I think that's the reason for it...

Plus the person who replied initially to the original thread may have an alert on responses to that thread whereas they may miss a new post.

It is likely that they have good knowledge in the area of the original post and hence they are quite likely to reply to a follow up question in the original post but may miss it if posted anew.

I'm not convinced that there is anything intrinsically wrong with posting a follow up question to the original post.

Both approaches have pros and cons.

I do not think it is as clear cut as you seem to think...:)

Monday, March 7, 2011 5:33 PM
  • There are many reasons some of which are

- the title of the thread matches the original question and usually not the follow-up question.

- threads remain short and thus answers are more easily accessible

(both mean for example that if the question comes up again repliers to that thread can refer to the other thread - if they do this with a thread with two or more questions it is difficult to find where the answer is)

- statistics are more accurate

(and if you say why is that important, then how about the fact that Microsoft keep track of which issues come up most often and will probably fix them first or provide KB articles or other articles on them - they don't keep track of the number of questions in a thread as that means reading all the threads).

As for replies from the same person, the strength of forums is that they are not private conversations but that you can get replies from anywhere in the world from people in any time zone. Thus even in the same thread replies and follow-ups to replies can come from several people.

[All of which is regretably off-topic here so apologies to people wanting to answer the question]

Monday, March 7, 2011 6:11 PM
  • OK for the greater good - i'll try to remember to start a new thread for follow on questions...
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 12:55 PM