none
How to measure response time in a GUI application? RRS feed

• Question

•  How to measure response time in a GUI application?

Need I measure the response time in the product code? or do it outside the proudct code? which tools may do help to me? thanks
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 9:01 AM

Answers

• To measure response time of the key scenarios in your application we recommend you instrument it using ETW, by putting Start/End events at the beginning and the end of each scenario. You can then visualize ETW events in Performance Analyzer's Generic Events graph. Note that you will need to enable your custom ETW provider when you tell xperf to capture the trace on top of any other providers you are interested in.

Hope this helps,
    Michael
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 12:17 AM

All replies

• To measure response time of the key scenarios in your application we recommend you instrument it using ETW, by putting Start/End events at the beginning and the end of each scenario. You can then visualize ETW events in Performance Analyzer's Generic Events graph. Note that you will need to enable your custom ETW provider when you tell xperf to capture the trace on top of any other providers you are interested in.

Hope this helps,
    Michael
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 12:17 AM
  • Could you please give an example of how this can be done? specially what do you mean by:
    "need to enable your custom ETW provider when you tell xperf to capture the trace on top of any other providers you are interested in."

what are the commands and parameters to use? Also what traces should I look at?

CACUser
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 9:45 PM